The cable concentration tricep extension is an isolation exercise which effectively targets the tricep muscles. Now, it’s not your typical Tricep exercise but it’s very beneficial for isolating the muscle for strength and muscle building purposes.
The great benefit is that you can train one Tricep at a time which contributes to unilateral function, strength and muscle balance. This exercise is especially interesting because it’s a reverse movement to the bicep concentration curl. But cables are used rather than a dumbbell. And this is good because you’ll always keep tension on the muscle which is necessary for muscle hypertrophy.
So, be sure to include the cable concentration tricep extension in your next arm workout.
In This Exercise:
- Target Muscle Group: Triceps Brachii
- Type: Strength
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Equipment: Cable machine
- Difficulty: Intermediate
- Attach a single grip handle to a high cable pulley.
- Then, grab the handle with your right hand and kneel down so that your left knee is on the floor and your right foot is planted on the floor. Your torso should be erect.
- Now, rest the back of your right arm on your inner thigh as if you were doing a concentration curl.
- Then, extend your forearm down by flexing your tricep until your arm is straight. Exhale during this portion of the exercise.
- Slowly flex your elbow until your forearm is parallel to the floor and complete the desired amount of reps. Inhale during this portion of the exercise.
- Repeat with your left arm by facing your right side to the machine. But this time place your right knee on the floor and plant your left foot flat on the floor.
- Alternate between arms for sets.
Variations & Tips:
- You can perform a similar version of this exercise by standing and securing your arm in place with your torso.
- Do not fully extend your elbow during flexion to keep even more tension on the triceps.
- Use a light to moderate weight as going too heavy is very dangerous for the elbows during a tricep extension movement.
- The cable concentration tricep extension targets all three tricep heads (Lateral, medial and long).