The one-arm lat pull-down is a compound exercise which builds muscle and strength in the latissimus dorsi muscles of the back. These muscles are activated optimally through pull-down and pull-up type movements so they need to be utilized for maximum gains. Now, performing this exercise using one arm develops unilateral strength and muscle balance so it’s always a great idea to do one-arm movements.
But, using cables is also very beneficial since they keep constant tension on the muscles which is very important for muscle hypertrophy. So, incorporate more one-arm lat pull-downs into your routine for continued gains!
In This Exercise:
- Target Muscle Group: Latissimus Dorsi
- Type: Strength
- Mechanics: Compound
- Equipment: Cable machine
- Difficulty: Beginner
- Attach a single grip handle to the pull-down machine.
- Then, sit under the leg support pads and grab the handle with your left hand.
- Now, pull down until your left elbow goes past your left lat muscle.
- Hold for a couple of seconds.
- Then, extend your arm back up until you feel a slight stretch in your lat muscle.
- Repeat the exercise for the ideal number of reps.
- Switch arms and repeat.
- Alternate between arms for sets.
Variations & Tips:
- This exercise is very beneficial for unilateral strength and muscle development.
- Make sure to get a good stretch in your lats during the negative portion of the exercise.
- The one-arm lat pull-down works the lats but the erector spinae, rhomboids, and traps also get worked secondarily.