The elbow lift is a very effective bodyweight exercise which builds muscle and strength in the back muscles. Now, generally, anyone can perform this exercise as long as you have healthy elbows. But to ensure optimal comfort and safety it’s recommended to always use a thick mat to support your elbows and allow you to do the exercise comfortably and effectively.
The elbow lift generally works all back muscles and is a great exercise for when you don’t have access to a gym or equipment. So, include this exercise in your next back workout and see how it works for you as the results could be pleasantly surprising.
In This Exercise
- Target Muscle Group: All back muscles
- Type: Strength
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Equipment: Floor Mat
- Difficulty: Beginner/Intermediate
- Lie down on the floor
- Then, raise your upper body up by pushing with your elbows. Exhale during this portion of the exercise.
- Hold for 2-3 seconds.
- Lower yourself back down until you’re lying flat on the floor. Inhale during this portion of the exercise.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
Variations & Tips:
- Keep your core tight during the exercise.
- You can place a weight plate on your torso for added resistance.
- Try to lift yourself up just high enough to get a good back contraction.
- The elbow lift works the back muscles in general.