The submission window for the first workout of the 2023 CrossFit Open, 23.1, has come to a close and the results are in. Roman Khrennikov and Emma Cary have taken the lead in this year’s CrossFit Open, as both put up extremely impressive performances in the first out of the three workouts.
The 23.1 workout tasked the athletes with completing as many reps as possible in 14 minutes of a 60-calorie row, 50 toes-to-bars, 40 wall-ball shots, 30 cleans, and 20 muscle-ups. Roman Khrennikov emerged as the winner of the men’s division, having completed a mind-blowing 306 reps, just two reps ahead of Cole Greashaber, who finished in second place.
Meanwhile, Emma Cary won the women’s division with 278 reps, ten more than Mal O’Brien, who finished in second place.
It’s worth noting that this identical workout was featured in 2014 when Rich Froning, the four-time Fittest Man on Earth, set the men’s record of 277 reps, while Sam Briggs set the women’s record of 256 reps. The fact that both Roman Khrennikov and Emma Cary were able to surpass these records shows just how much the sport has progressed in the past nine years.
2023 CrossFit Open Workout 23.1 Results
Men’s Division (Top 10)
- Roman Khrennikov — 306 repetitions
- Cole Greashaber — 304 repetitions
- Patrick Vellner — 304 repetitions
- Guillaume Briant — 303 repetitions
- Giorgos Karavis — 300 repetitions
- Jeffrey Adler — 298 repetitions
- Ricky Garard — 298 repetitions
- Royce Dunne — 297 repetitions
- Jelle Hoste — 297 repetitions
- Victor Hoffer — 296 repetitions
Women’s Division (Top 10)
- Emma Cary — 278 repetitions
- Mal O’Brien — 268 repetitions
- Laura Horvath — 261 repetitions
- Jacqueline Dahlstrom — 261 repetitions
- Jamie Simmonds — 260 repetitions
- Samantha Briggs — 258 repetitions
- Emma Lawson — 256 repetitions
- Feeroozeh Saghafi — 254 repetitions
- Arielle Loewen — 253 repetitions
- Gabriela Migala — 253 repetitions
Roman Khrennikov’s win in the men’s division of the 23.1 workout was no surprise to those who follow the sport closely. Born in 1995, Roman is a seasoned athlete and has been a consistent performer in the sport of CrossFit for the past few years. He has been a top performer in several competitions, winning the 2021 Dubai CrossFit Championship and the 2022 CrossFit Semifinal Far East Throwdown. Most notably, Khrennikov almost dethroned Justin Medeiros at the 2022 CrossFit Games, but ultimately finished in second place.
However, Emma Cary’s win in the women’s division was a bit of a surprise. Despite being only 19, this is an amazing achievement for Cary, perhaps her greatest thus far. Therefore, her performance in the 23.1 workout indicates that she is capable of being a top performer, and will likely become the face of the sport within a few years. Another proof of this is her determination, as Emma was forced to miss out on the 2022 CrossFit Season due to a back injury, but now came back even stronger than before.
Remaining CrossFit Open Workouts
- Workout 23.2 — Presenting ceremony on February 23rd, 2023 — Submissions Due on February 27th, 2023
- Workout 23.3 — Presenting ceremony on March 2nd, 2023 — Submissions Due on March 6th, 2023
The 2023 CrossFit Open Workout 23.2 will be revealed on Thursday, February 23rd, and it will feature a duel by none other than Roman Khrennikov and Pat Vellner. Both men got a top three placement in the first workout of the open, which means that they are in peak shape, which will make their duel even more interesting.