The machine one-arm row is a compound exercise which builds muscle and strength in the muscles of the back. Now, this is an excellent exercise because there’s no stabilization required to perform the movement. You can focus on the exercise and even train heavy to stimulate maximum growth.
But, training one arm at a time has a unilateral training benefit for muscle balance and strength. The machine row is great for anyone at any level of training and is ideal when used as the main exercise in any back routine. So, try to incorporate this movement more for maximum results.
In This Exercise:
- Target Muscle Groups: All back muscles (Rhomboids, Lattisimus Dorsi, Erector Spinae, Trapezius)
- Type: Strength
- Mechanics: Compound
- Equipment: Back row machine
- Difficulty: Beginner
- Sit on the machine and place the front of your torso on the support pad.
- Then, grab the left handle and hold onto the chest pad with your right hand for support.
- Now, pull the weight back and squeeze for 2 seconds. Exhale during this portion of the exercise.
- Return to the starting position with arm extended forward. Inhale during this portion of the exercise.
- Complete the desired number of reps.
- Repeat the exercise with your right arm.
- Alternate between arms for sets.
Variations & Tips:
- Try the machine one-arm row with one arm behind your back to increase the difficulty and stabilizer muscles.
- This exercise develops unilateral strength and muscle balance.
- The machine one-arm row works all back muscles.