The standing twisting cable high row is a compound exercise which targets the lats but it also works all of the back muscles. This movement is a great upper posterior chain exercise which also makes a great exercise variation to the lat pulldown and row.
Now, it’s a pretty simple movement and anyone at any level of training experience can use it effectively. But, it’s best to use a light to moderate weight to really feel the muscle working for maximum muscle building benefits. So, substitute some back exercises for the standing twisting cable high row to stimulate your rear muscles with a twist!…
In This Exercise:
- Target Muscle Group: All back muscle (Rhomboids, Erector Spinae, Trapezius, Lattisimus Dorsi)
- Type: Strength
- Mechanics: Compound
- Equipment: Cable machine, single grip attachment
- Difficulty: Beginner
- Attach a single grip handle to the highest notch on the cable pulley.
- Then, grip the handle with your left hand and place your right foot in front while the left is in the back.
- Now, pull the handle past your left side and twist to the left while squeezing your lats. Exhale during this portion of the exercise.
- Then, straighten your left arm back to the starting position until it’s fully extended. Inhale during this portion of the exercise.
- Complete the ideal number of reps and then repeat the exercise with your right arm. But this time place your left foot in front and right foot behind.
Variations & Tips:
- You can also perform this exercise seated.
- Train with light to moderate weights to effectively engage your lats.
- Twist your body to the left if working your left side and twist to the right if working your right side.
- The standing twisting cable high row targets the lats but it works all back muscles effectively.
Watch: How to do the standing twisting cable high row
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.