Anthony Johnson on Tim Hague: ‘This is why I walked away’

Anthony Johnson

Two-time UFC title challenger Anthony Johnson referenced the injury to former UFC heavyweight Tim Hague in explaining why he decided to retire earlier this year at age 33.

Johnson posted a headline on Hague’s condition on Instagram on Saturday and said head trauma was a major reason he left the Octagon. Hague died Sunday at age 34, his family said.

“This is a reality check for me!” Johnson wrote. “I’ve knocked a lot of [people] out and [I don’t know] how this didn’t happen when I fought. I’ve been afraid of this happening to me and after learning about CTE I’m afraid of it happening to anybody.”

Johnson’s last UFC bout was a second round submission loss against reigning light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier at UFC 210 in April of this year. He teased about a possible comeback after watching light heavyweights Alexander Gustafsson destroy Glover Teixeira with a barrage of upper cuts at UFC Fight Night: Stockholm.

For the time being, “Rumble” Johnson appears to be staying retired with no plans of returning to the UFC.

For the latest news and updates please follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar
wpDiscuz