Conor McGregor turns himself in after the bus incident, charge pending
According to MMAFighting Conor McGregor is in New York police custody and a spokesman for the NYPD (New York Police Department) confirmed the report. McGregor turned himself, the spokesperson said.
After crashing today’s UFC 223 press event—throwing a barricade, injuring multiple fighters, Conor McGregor was wanted for questioning for this wild attack that happened at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
yoooooo… first time seeing this one. Conor has legit lost his mind. pic.twitter.com/XcLFd2FIMo
— caposa (@Grabaka_Hitman) April 5, 2018
NBC New York and Newsday were the first to report the news of McGregor being in custody.
“He turned himself in, and the investigation is ongoing,” the spokesperson said. “No charges.”
Conor McGregor is currently in police custody, per NYPD. Charges pending. He turned himself earlier this evening.
— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) April 6, 2018
Per NYPD spokesman: "Mr. McGregor is in the custody of the New York Police Department. No formal charges have been filed and our investigation is ongoing."
— Mark La Monica (@LaMonicaMark) April 6, 2018
NBC News: Champion UFC fighter Conor McGregor is in custody and is expected to be charged with assault by the NYPD following an incident in Brooklyn, NY earlier today, @jonathan4ny & @SarahWallace4NY report. https://t.co/Jb343sv7in
— Tom Winter (@Tom_Winter) April 6, 2018
UFC lost total three fights for its Saturday pay-per-view UFC 223 event directly connected to the incident involving McGregor.
Lightweight Michael Chiesa has been pulled from a scheduled fight against Anthony Pettis because of facial lacerations. Flyweight Ray Borg has been forced out of a bout against Brandon Moreno because of an eye injury. Both injuries were allegedly caused by McGregor’s actions.
And McGregor’s teammate, Artem Lobov, had earlier been pulled from his fight against Alex Caceres at the event because of his involvement in the incident. Earlier this week, Lobov was also involved in a minor hotel scuffle with UFC lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov, who is scheduled to fight Saturday against Max Holloway.
Chiesa wrote on Twitter:
“A decision was made by the New York State Athletic Commission to pull me from UFC 223 I’m devastated to say the least. [Pettis], I hope to run this match up ASAP, June 9 in your backyard. That’s all I have to say for now. Much love.”
Earlier today Dana White condemned McGregor’s behavior, calling it “the most disgusting thing that has ever happened” in UFC history.
UFC also released an official statement Thursday evening stated,
“During today’s media event at Barclays Center to promote UFC 223: Khabib vs. Holloway, Conor McGregor and Artem Lobov entered the building accompanied by over a dozen individuals.
The group, which included McGregor and Lobov, vandalized the vehicle that contained a number of athletes competing at the event taking place this weekend. NYPD was immediately alerted and is currently in the process of investigating the situation.
UFC is working very closely with the New York Athletic Commission, Barclays Center security and law enforcement authorities. All parties are working together to ensure the highest standard of proper safety precautions are implemented to protect the fans and athletes.
The organization deems today’s disruption completely unacceptable and is currently working on the consequences that will follow. Immediately, Lobov has been removed from this weekend’s card and individuals involved in the incident are not welcome at tomorrow’s ceremonial weigh-in or Saturday’s event at Barclays Center.”
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.