HMB, short for beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyrate, is found naturally in the human body. It is a popular dietary supplement that has gained a lot of interest in the health and fitness community as it can aid muscle growth, improve exercise performance, and reduce muscle breakdown.
Top 12 HMB Supplements Tested/Ranked:
- Best Overall: Optimum Nutrition HMB
- Best Value: BulkSupplements HMB Powder
- Best HMB Capsule Supplement: MET-Rx HMB 1000
- Best Single-Ingredient HMB: NatureBell HMB
- Best Rated: Nutricost HMB
- Best Vegan HMB Supplement: Micro Ingredients Pure HMB Powder
- Best for Beginners: NOW Sports HMB
- Best Bioavailable HMB Supplement: NutraKey HMB
- Most Potent HMB Formula: Life Extension Wellness Code Muscle Strength & Restore Formula
- Best Third-Party Tested: Double Wood Supplements HMB
- Best for Building Muscle Mass and Strength: Blonyx HMB + Creatine
- Best for Recovery: MRM HMB 1000
How Much Do the Best HMB Supplements Cost?
The best HMB supplements range between $16.49 to $61.75 per container, translating to a $0.05 to $1.02 per serving cost.
Here’s a breakdown of the prices of the best HMB supplements and what we like about them:
|Category||Product||Name||Price||Per Serving||Why We Love It|
|Best Overall||Optimum Nutrition HMB||$35.28||$0.39||It is a versatile HMB supplement and one of the best on the market.|
|Best Value||BulkSupplements HMB Powder||$29.96||$0.05||A value supplement too hard not to recommend.|
|Best HMB Capsule Supplement||MET-Rx HMB 1000||$29.77||$0.33||MET-Rx HMB 1000 delivers everything a serious strength athlete needs.|
|Best Single-Ingredient HMB||NatureBell HMB||$18.95||$0.21||The single-ingredient formula makes it optimal to be stacked with other supplements.|
|Best Rated||Nutricost HMB||$21.95||$0.18||It is one of the most highly rated HMB supplements on Amazon.|
|Best Vegan HMB Supplement||Micro Ingredients Pure HMB Powder||$18.95||$0.07||A high-quality product that delivers on everything it promises.|
|Best for Beginners||NOW Sports HMB||$20.18||$0.22||High quality and low dose, the supp is perfect for beginners.|
|Best Bioavailable HMB Supplement||NutraKey HMB||$16.49||$0.54||It is great for beginners or people who have a hard time digesting supplements.|
|Most Potent HMB Formula||Life Extension Wellness Code Muscle Strength & Restore Formula||$27||$0.9||If you want a high-dose HMB supplement, you cannot go wrong with this.|
|Best Third-Party Tested||Double Wood Supplements HMB||$17.96||$0.29||The product is second to none in the quality department.|
|Best for Building Muscle Mass and Strength||Blonyx HMB + Creatine||$61.75||$1.02||Arguably the most effective HMB supp for building muscle and strength.|
|Best for Recovery||MRM HMB 1000||$23.91||$0.39||The added l-leucine enhances your recovery process.|
Top 12 Best HMB Supplements
Given below are the best HMB supps in various categories:
The best overall HMB supplement delivers a solid dose of HMB per serving while being one of the most versatile options on the market. ON HMB ticks all the right boxes and is the best HMB supp on the market.
Optimum Nutrition HMB
Optimum Nutrition is one of the most trusted brands in the sports nutrition industry. It has a portfolio of scientifically-back and effective supplements, and its HMB product is no different.
ON HBM delivers 1,000 mg of HMB per capsule and contains 90 capsules in each bottle. This is a single-ingredient product and can be paired with other supplements.
Optimum Nutrition recommends taking one capsule of the supplement thrice a day with a protein-containing meal for best results.
Who Should Buy Optimum Nutrition HMB?
- Folks who want a no-nonsense HMB product.
- Lifters who only buy from a trusted sports nutrition company.
Who Should Not Buy Optimum Nutrition HMB?
- Vegans, as the capsule contains gelatin.
- People who have a hard time swallowing big capsules.
If you’re a bargain hunter who cannot pass on a good deal, you might end up buying the BulkSupplements HMB Powder after reading the review.
BulkSupplements HMB Powder
BulkSupplements.com has made a name for itself by delivering high-quality supplements at budget-friendly prices. Plus, it doesn’t compromise on the quality of ingredients, and its products are made according to the cGMP Standards and are third-party tested.
BulkSupplements HMB Powder is the most pocket-friendly HMB supplement on the market. A 500-gram packing of the supplement will last 500 days, per the recommended dosage.
Who Should Buy BulkSupplements HMB Powder?
- People on a shoestring budget.
- Folks who like to buy supps in bulk. The 2.2-pound packing of the products contains 1,000 servings.
Who Should Not Buy BulkSupplements HMB Powder?
- People who like to take supps in capsule form.
Best HMB Capsule Supplement
It is no secret that some people prefer capsule supps over powder variations. Capsule supplements are easy to consume and convenient.
MET-Rx HMB 1000
MET-Rx HMB 1000 is formulated keeping in mind serious strength athletes. The brand recommends following an effective training program and diet while using the supplement for optimal results.
The HMB supplementdelivers 1,000 mg of HMB per serving in a gelatin capsule. Each bottle of the supp contains 90 capsules that should last you approximately 23 days if you follow the recommended dosage.
Who Should Buy MET-Rx HMB 1000?
- Serious strength athletes.
- People trying to optimize their post-workout recovery.
Who Should Not Buy MET-Rx HMB 1000?
- Vegans, as the capsule contains gelatin.
Best Single-Ingredient HMB
Many HMB supplements on the market contain multiple ingredients, which many people believe can hamper their effectiveness. NatureBell HMB is a single-ingredient supplement that delivers a serious dose of HMB with every serving.
NatureBell HMB is soy, gluten, GMO, and dairy-free, making it one of the purest HMB supps on the market. The product is manufactured and third-parted tested in the United States.
The supplement is designed to prevent skeletal muscle damage in men and women. Each container of the supp contains 180 capsules, which will last you 90 days, according to the recommended dose.
Who Should Buy NatureBell HMB?
- Folks who want to support made-in-USA products.
- Individuals who want a single-ingredient formula.
Who Should Not Buy NatureBell HMB?
- People who prefer powdered form supplements.
Many people do not buy supplements unless they are backed by positive customer reviews. If you count yourself in the group, Nutricost HMB is the supplement for you.
Nutricost HMB delivers 1,000 mg of HMB per serving. A 240-capsule container costs you around $22 and lasts 120 days, per the recommended dosage.
Consumers love the fact that the product is GMO and gluten-free, produced in an FDA-registered facility, and third-party tested. Notably, Nutricost HMB contains gelatin, rice flour, and vegetable magnesium stearate.
Who Should Buy Nutricost HMB?
- Folks who like buying a supplement after reading through customer reviews.
- Beginners who want a moderately dosed HMB supp. Each Nutricost cap contains 500 mg HMB.
Who Should Not Buy Nutricost HMB?
Best Vegan HMB Supplement
The Micro Ingredients Pure HMB Powder is fast gaining popularity in vegan circles for its high-quality ingredients.
Micro Ingredients Pure HMB Powder
Micro Ingredients Pure HMB Powder is one of the purest HMB supps on the market. It is certified vegan and free from artificial ingredients. Each 250 gm package of the supplement contains 250 servings, making it one of the more budget-friendly supps on the list.
Micro Ingredients claims that its higher concentration formula can result in faster absorption, enhanced muscle growth and protein synthesis, and better digestion. Additionally, the unflavored supplement is great for adding to your favorite beverages.
Who Should Buy Micro Ingredients Pure HMB Powder?
- Folks who like adding their HMB powder to beverages.
- People on a budget.
Who Should Not Buy Micro Ingredients Pure HMB Powder?
- People who prefer a capsule HMB supp.
Best for Beginners
Most HMB supplements on the market are targeted toward intermediate and advanced users, overlooking the needs of the rookies. However, NOW Sports HMB takes a different approach.
NOW Sports HMB
Each serving of the NOW Sports HMB delivers 770 mg of HMB, which can help beginners get used to the supplement.
The HMB supplement is produced and third-party tested in the USA by Informed-Sport to ensure they don’t contain banned substances and illegal ingredients.
The brand recommends taking two capsules, two to three times daily with food for optimal results.
Who Should Buy NOW Sports HMB?
- Beginners who are starting using sports nutrition supplements.
- Folks who want to buy from a reputed brand.
Who Should Not Buy NOW Sports HMB?
- People who want a high-dose HMB supplement.
Best Bioavailable HMB Supplement
It doesn’t matter how high-dosed a product is — if it is not easily absorbable, your body will reject most of what you consume.
NutraKey HMB is ultra micronized, making it one of the most easily absorbable HMB supplements on the market.
Each bottle of NutraKey HMB contains 90 caps, which translates to 30 servings per its recommended three capsule serving size. A serving of the supp delivers a pure 1,000 mg of HMB, which can help prevent muscle breakdown and promote muscle growth by enhancing protein synthesis.
Who Should Buy NutraKey HMB?
- People who like capsule HMB supps.
Who Should Not Buy NutraKey HMB?
- Individuals who prefer a high dose of HMB per capsule.
Most Potent HMB Formula
If you are an advanced lifter, you might need a high-dosed HMB supplement to meet your recovery needs, and this is where the Muscle Strength & Restore Formula shines.
Life Extension Wellness Code Muscle Strength & Restore Formula
Each Muscle Strength & Restore Formula serving contains 3,000 mg of HMB, probably the highest of any HMB supplement on the market. Furthermore, it delivers 360 mg of calcium and 25 mcg of vitamin D3.
The supplement mixes well in water, making it a great addition to pre-workouts or beverages.
Who Should Buy Life Extension Wellness Code?
- Advanced lifters who want a high-dose HMB supplement.
- People who want to stack the supp with their favorite beverages or other supplements.
Who Should Not Buy Life Extension Wellness Code?
- People on a tight budget.
Best Third-Party Tested
Third-party tested supplements guarantee purity and product quality. When you buy a third-party tested product, you know what is on the label is exactly what you’re getting.
Double Wood Supplements HMB
Double Wood Supplements HMB is made in the U.S. and tested by a third party for safety and purity. Each bottle of the supp contains 120 capsules, 60 servings per the recommended dose size.
Besides HMB, the product contains gelatin, rice flour, microcrystalline cellulose, and silicon dioxide.
Who Should Not Buy Double Wood Supplements HMB?
- Individuals who want a high-quality third-party tested product.
Who Should Buy Double Wood Supplements HMB?
Best for Building Muscle Mass and Strength
Since HMB is made from leucine and aids muscle growth, improves exercise performance, and reduces muscle breakdown, it is a popular supplement amongst strength athletes.
Blonyx HMB + Creatine
Combining HMB and creatine is a great way to ensure strength and muscle gains, and Blonyx HMB + Creatine does just that. The supp combines creatine monohydrate and HMB in a 5:3 ratio.
Blonyx HMB + Creatine contains 1.5 g of HMB, 2.5 g of creatine, and 195 mg of calcium per serving. The brand recommends taking one scoop of the supplement twice a day, ideally with food.
You could utilize the supplement like a standard creatine product for your loading or maintenance phases. Notably, it is the most expensive supplement on the list.
Who Should Buy Blonyx HMB + Creatine?
- Serious lifters.
- People trying to build muscle mass and strength.
Who Should Not Buy Blonyx HMB + Creatine?
- People who are not into strength training.
- Folks on a tight budget.
Best for Recovery
While HMB is a recovery-focused ingredient, combining it with other compounds can help improve its effectiveness.
MRM HMB 1000
MRM HMB 1000 combines 1,000 mg of HMB with 100 mg of l-leucine, 6.3 mcg of vitamin D, and 130 mg of calcium. It also contains gelatin and magnesium stearate.
Each bottle of the supp contains 60 capsules, and the brand suggests taking one cap every day with a protein source.
Who Should Buy MRM HMB 1000?
- People who want to improve their recovery.
Who Should Not Buy MRM HMB 1000?
Check Out: Best BCAA Supplements of 2022
What is HMB?
HMB is produced naturally in the human body. It is known by various names, including beta-hydroxy beta-methyl butyric acid, beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyrate, and hydroxymethyl butyrate.
HMB is made when your body breaks down leucine, a BCAA that’s essential for protein synthesis and muscle repair. Since your body produces HMB in small amounts, you can take a supplement to increase HMB levels in your body.
What to Look For in an HMB Supplement
HMB supplements are usually single-ingredient supps and might sometimes come with added calcium and vitamins.
Here are the main things to consider when looking for an HMB supplement:
- HMB Dosage: Although there is no standardized dosage for HMB, most studies have used a dosage of 3 grams per day.
- Gelatin: The presence of gelatin might be a cause for concern for vegans as it is commonly derived from collagen taken from animal body parts.
- Brand: HMB is a relatively new supplement and should be bought from a trustworthy brand.
How We Ranked the Best HMB Supplements
We used the following criteria to pick the best HMB supps:
- Third-Party Testing: Since the HMB supplement ingredient list is rather straightforward, we relied on third-party tests to confirm the quality of a product.
- Value: We looked at each supplement’s ingredient list, number of servings, serving size, and overall effects to judge if it is worth spending your hard-earned money on.
Benefits of HMB Supplements
The benefits of supplementing with HMB include:
Promotes Muscle Growth
Research shows that taking HMB supplements while resistance training can result in muscle and strength gains. 
Reduces Muscle Breakdown
An analysis of 15 studies found that taking three to four grams of HMB daily over a period of seven days to six months was significantly more effective at preventing muscle loss than a placebo. 
Could Decrease Risk of Cardiovascular Disease
A study found that supplementing with HMB resulted in a decrease in total cholesterol, LDL (“bad”) cholesterol, and systolic blood pressure. 
Safety and Recommended Dosage of HMB Supplements
There are little to no known side effects of using HMB, making it a good supplement for the general public. However, some people have reported stomach pain, constipation, or itching while taking HMB. 
Most brands recommend taking three grams of HMB every day for optimal results. However, more research is needed to verify this claim.
When should you take HMB?
Most brands recommend taking equal doses of HMB spread throughout the day. On the other hand, some companies recommend taking it 30 minutes prior to a workout.
Is HMB an amino acid?
No. HMB is derived from an amino acid, leucine but is not an amino acid itself.
Can I take HMB even if I don’t exercise?
Yes. One study found that HMB helped older adults combat malnutrition and lean tissue loss associated with aging (6).
HMB supplements can improve exercise performance and reduce muscle breakdown, helping take your strength and muscle gains to the next level.
If you’re on the market for an HMB supp, we recommend going with Optimum Nutrition HMB. However, if your goal is to build muscle mass and improve your recovery game, you should check out the Blonyx HMB + Creatine.
- Wilkinson DJ, Hossain T, Hill DS, Phillips BE, Crossland H, Williams J, Loughna P, Churchward-Venne TA, Breen L, Phillips SM, Etheridge T, Rathmacher JA, Smith K, Szewczyk NJ, Atherton PJ. Effects of leucine and its metabolite β-hydroxy-β-methylbutyrate on human skeletal muscle protein metabolism. J Physiol. 2013 Jun 1;591(11):2911-23. doi: 10.1113/jphysiol.2013.253203. Epub 2013 Apr 3. PMID: 23551944; PMCID: PMC3690694.
- Gallagher PM, Carrithers JA, Godard MP, Schulze KE, Trappe SW. Beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate ingestion, Part I: effects on strength and fat free mass. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2000 Dec;32(12):2109-15. doi: 10.1097/00005768-200012000-00022. PMID: 11128859.
- Danielle E Bear, Anne Langan, Eirini Dimidi, Liesl Wandrag, Stephen D R Harridge, Nicholas Hart, Bronwen Connolly, Kevin Whelan, β-Hydroxy-β-methylbutyrate and its impact on skeletal muscle mass and physical function in clinical practice: a systematic review and meta-analysis, The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Volume 109, Issue 4, April 2019, Pages 1119–1132.
- S. Nissen, R. L. Sharp, L. Panton, M. Vukovich, S. Trappe, J. C. Fuller, Jr., β-Hydroxy-β-Methylbutyrate (HMB) Supplementation in Humans Is Safe and May Decrease Cardiovascular Risk Factors, The Journal of Nutrition, Volume 130, Issue 8, August 2000, Pages 1937–1945.
- Rathmacher JA, Nissen S, Panton L, Clark RH, Eubanks May P, Barber AE, D’Olimpio J, Abumrad NN. Supplementation with a combination of beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB), arginine, and glutamine is safe and could improve hematological parameters. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2004 Mar-Apr;28(2):65-75. doi: 10.1177/014860710402800265. PMID: 15080599.
- Damanti S, Azzolino D, Roncaglione C, Arosio B, Rossi P, Cesari M. Efficacy of Nutritional Interventions as Stand-Alone or Synergistic Treatments with Exercise for the Management of Sarcopenia. Nutrients. 2019 Aug 23;11(9):1991. doi: 10.3390/nu11091991. PMID: 31443594; PMCID: PMC6770476.