The 2023 CrossFit Games once again garnered attention when they took place from August 1-6, in Madison, Wisconsin. Known as the most prestigious competition that CrossFit has to offer, only the greatest athletes managed to endure the long and difficult qualifiers, and they put on an incredible show. The women’s division was particularly interesting since we were guaranteed to see a new champion. Multiple women came hungry for the title, but Laura Horvath was the one who came out victorious and became the Fittest Woman On Earth.
Ever since Tia-Clair Toomey won her first CrossFit Games title back in 2017, we have not seen anyone else walk away with the gold. However, she announced her pregnancy last year, which meant that anyone could become the new champion. As it turned out, Laura Horvath fulfilled her dream and made her mark in history, after many close calls.
Laura Horvath’s win did not come easy by any means, as she was pushed by many athletes, most notably, the 18-year-old Emma Lawson. However, the experience that Laura accumulated over the years paid off, as she claimed three consecutive workout wins in the last two days and overtook Emma on the top of the board. She then put in a solid performance on the final event, which was enough to hold off Emma.
2023 CrossFit Games Women’s Podium
- Laura Horvath — 966 points
- Emma Lawson — 919 points
- Arielle Loewen — 883 points
Laura Horvath’s Full Performance
- Ride: Ninth-Place
- Pig Chipper: First-Place
- Inverted Medley: 27th-Place
- The Alpaca Redux: Second-Place
- Ski-Bag: First-Place
- Helena: 15th-Place
- Cross-Country 5k: 13th-Place
- Intervals: Eighth-Place
- Olympic Total: First-Place
- Muscle-Up Logs: First-Place
- Parallel-Bar Pull: First-Place
- Echo Thruster Final: Fourth-Place
Laura Horvath won five events in total across the four competition days at the 2023 CrossFit Games. As far as the remainder of the events go, Laura only made one mistake when she placed 27th, but, due to her numerous high placings, it did not cost her anything.
Unlike Jeffrey Adler, Laura Horvath did not have as successful of a season beforehand, since she did not rank first worldwide at any stage before the 2023 CrossFit Games. However, she was consistently in the top 5 women in the world, and her consistency also helped her become the Fittest Woman On Earth.
This was Laura Horvath’s sixth appearance at the CrossFit Games. She previously grabbed silver in 2018 and 2021, as well as bronze in 2022. So, it was about time for luck to go her way and for her to claim the title.
Not only is Laura Horvath happy for her 2023 CrossFit Games victory, but a lot of CrossFit fans are as well. There is nothing better than seeing someone’s hard work and years of sacrifice pay off, as it also motivates everyone who witnessed it. However, when she decides to return in 2024 to defend her title, Laura is set to face an even bigger challenge, as the return of Tia-Clair Toomey and Mal O’Brien is expected.
2023 CrossFit Games Coverage
- 2023 CrossFit Games Results, Recap, & Leaderboards
- 2023 CrossFit Games Results — Individual & Teams Final Day
- 2023 CrossFit Games Results — Individual & Teams Day Three
- 2023 CrossFit Games Results — Individual & Teams Day Two
- 2023 CrossFit Games Results — Individual & Teams Day One
- How To Watch 2023 CrossFit Games
- 2023 NOBULL CrossFit Games Withdrawals
- 2023 CrossFit Games Workouts For Individuals & Teams Revealed