The overhead EZ bar tricep extension is an isolation exercise which builds muscle and strength in the triceps. Now, extension movements allow for a deeper stretch in the muscle which is great for deep, muscle fiber activation. But, you want to make sure you’re sufficiently warmed up before using challenging weights as this often causes elbow pain and takes the tension off the triceps.
However, it’s recommended to stick with light to moderate weights to prevent long term joint issues. Now, using an EZ bar is ideal as it relieves strain on the wrists so try to avoid straight bars during this exercise.
Include the overhead EZ bar tricep extension in your routine for maximum tricep development.
In This Exercise:
- Target Muscle Group: Triceps Brachii
- Type: Strength
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Equipment: EZ bar
- Difficulty: Beginner
- Sit upright on a bench and hold an EZ curl bar overhead with your hands shoulder-width distance apart under the curved grooves.
- Then, slowly lower the bar down behind your head with elbows slightly tucked in until your forearms are parallel to the floor. Inhale during this portion of the exercise.
- Now, extend your forearms back by to the starting position by flexing your triceps but don’t lock out at the top. Exhale during this portion of the exercise.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
Variations & Tips:
- You can also do this movement with dumbbells for a more free range of movement.
- Always warm up sufficiently to prevent elbow pain and keep tension on the triceps.
- It’s recommended to stick with light to moderate weight to prevent long term elbow issues.
- Do not allow your arms to come down lower than slightly past parallel during the eccentric (Negative) portion of the exercise.
- The overhead EZ bar tricep extension works all three tricep heads.
Watch: How to do the overhead EZ bar tricep extension
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.