Over the years, Phil Heath has tested the waters in all kinds of pursuits. However he recently put his chef’s hat on to cultivate a tasty chicken wing recipe, for a competition.
It has been some time since we have seen Heath compete as a bodybuilder. As more and more time passes since the 2018 Mr. Olympia, which was his last appearance, the concern grows that we have seen him compete for the last time. However as he explained in a recent interview, he is still not ruling out a return to competition.
“Bodybuilding is in my DNA,” Heath said. “That has not changed one bit. I’ll always have that in my blood.”
As good as that is to hear, this was not the main purpose of Phil Heath doing this interview. He was actually there to discuss a contest that he is participating in, Off The Menu’s Wing Showdown, presented by UberEats. He, alongside ten other celebrities designed their own individual chicken wing recipes, pitting them against each other. You can vote for Heath’s “Mr. Olympia’s Cheat Meal Wings” after ordering them through UberEats, and you are will automatically be entered to win some prizes.
“I love food, but most importantly food brings people together,” Heath says in explaining why he decided to participate in the showdown. “And with everything going on right now in the world, I thought maybe we could bring some happier times with food.”
Phil Heath “Mr. Olympia’s Cheat Meal Wings” Recipe
Unfortunately the ability to order these wings from Phil Heath are limited to select areas. However even if you are not able to get them delivered to your door, you can make them yourself. He shared the recipe for his tasty wings, so you can give them a try.
- 8-12 chicken wings
- Cooking oil
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- ½ cup sriracha
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 ½ tsp minced garlic
View this post on Instagram
Shout out to my friend @jasonbreeze for capturing this moment in Vegas few years back. @hanyrambod doesn’t like me training arms much, so when I do I’ve gotta make it count right Hany lol. Anyway, hope you guys enjoy the #fbf pic as it’s definitely one of my favorites. Have a great day wherever you are! #PhilHeath #flashbackfriday #7xMrOlympia #arms #biceps #triceps #forearms #photo #bodybuilding #training #photoshoot #gym #motivation
- Salt wings the night before and leave in the refrigerator covered. The next day, marinate wings in a mixture of milk (whole or 2%), 2 eggs, and Sriracha (about 1/3 cup) for 2 hrs in the refrigerator.
- While the wings are marinating, mix the honey sriracha glaze in a bowl: (Sriracha, honey, rice vinegar, sesame oil and minced garlic). Set aside.
- To prepare the wing breading, mix flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper in a large bowl. (I use about 1 tablespoon of cayenne but you can add as much as your spicy preference). Lightly coat each wing in the flour mixture.
- Fill a large pot half full with cooking oil (you want to hit roughly 300F-350F) and set a rack over a baking sheet. In batches, coat the wings in the breading mix, then let the excess fall off before adding to oil. Fry until golden, anywhere from 5-7 minutes depending on wing size. Transfer the fried wings to rack to cool.
- Once cooled, add wings to a large bowl and mix to coat evenly with the sriracha glaze. Serve with blue cheese or your favorite wing dipping sauce!
Will you be giving this recipe from Phil Heath a try?
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.