The dumbbell shrug is an excellent mass and strength builder for the trapezius muscle, and its effectiveness is one reason for its popularity. Now, many people (Mostly men) desire to have bigger traps because they make you look bigger and stronger but traps are also important for scapula functions as well.
The shrug is also a very convenient and simple exercise since all you need is two dumbbells, but the benefits are worth it and if you want to develop functional traps which will make your physique stand out; this exercise is a must-have!
Beginners can perform this exercise and experience great results too.
In This Exercise
- Target Muscle Group: Trapezius
- Type: Strength
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Equipment: Dumbbells
- Difficulty: Beginner
- Grab a pair of dumbells and stand up straight. Let the dumbbells hang by your sides.
- Then, lifts your shoulders toward your head and slightly back as high as you can while squeezing your traps. Exhale during this portion of the exercise.
- Hold for a couple of seconds.
- Slowly lower your shoulders back down.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
Variations & Tips:
- Only move your shoulders straight up and slightly back during the positive portion of the exercise. Do not rotate your shoulders.
- Squeeze your traps during the positives.
- You can bend your elbows slightly but do not try to lift the dumbbells up during the exercise as your hands are only hooks to hold them in place.
- The dumbbell shrug is a great power movement for developing the traps.
Watch: How to do the dumbbell shrug
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.