The seated dumbbell overhead tricep extension is a fantastic movement which builds optimal muscle and strength in all three heads of the tricep muscle. Now, this exercise is a favorite for making big gains but you must use proper form and take precaution for optimal safety and effectiveness.
And perhaps the biggest concern with this movement is the stress it could potentially place on your elbows. So, make sure to warm up sufficiently before even considering using heavy dumbbells.
The overhead dumbbell extension can either be performed using two hands like the example we’re providing, or you can train with one arm using lighter resistance. But either way, it’s a must in any tricep workout.
In This Exercise:
- Target Muscle Group: Triceps Brachii
- Type: Strength
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Equipment: Dumbbell
- Difficulty: Beginner/Intermediate
- Hold one side of the dumbbell with both hands while seated on the bench.
- Then, press the dumbbell overhead to get into the starting position.
- Now, keep your upper arms stationary and bend only your forearms parallel to the floor until the dumbbell is behind your head.
- Extend your forearms back up by flexing your triceps but don’t lock out your elbows.
- Complete the ideal number of reps and then repeat for the desired amount of sets.
Variations & Tips:
- Always warm up and work your way up to heavier dumbbells to protect the elbows and prevent pain.
- Training with light to moderate dumbbells is recommended for elbow safety.
- The seated dumbbell overhead tricep extension is a mass builder for all three heads of the tricep muscles.