The cable wood chop is a very unconventional exercise which you’ll hardly see any gym-goers performing. However, it’s very effective for developing your oblique muscles which make up a portion of your core aside from your abdominals.
But using cables is a sure way to get a great workout since you place constant tension on the target muscle group. So, the wood chop can take your core training to the next level as it’s a great movement which everyone should include in their training routine.
And you can do it before or after any workout to ensure your core is receiving optimal stimulation.
In This Exercise:
- Target Muscle groups: Internal and External Obliques
- Type: Strength
- Mechanics: Compound
- Equipment: Cable machine
- Difficulty: Beginner
- Attach a single grip handle to the top of the cable pulley.
- Then, grab the handle with your left hand and turn away from the machine, so your left heel is facing the cable pulley.
- Now, grab the handle with your right hand, so both are gripping it.
- With arms straight, pull the cable down and across your body to the right while contracting your oblique muscles.
- Complete the ideal number of reps, then switch sides and repeat the movement.
- Alternate between both sides for sets.
Variations & Tips:
- Avoid training too heavy as it will compromise your form making the exercise less effective.
- The cable wood chop is an unconventional exercise which places constant tension on the obliques muscles.
- Your abdominals also get worked secondarily during the movement.