In many ways, the CrossFit Open is designed to be more challenging than the Games. This became evident as both Mat Fraser, and Tia-Clair Toomey, as well as many others got penalized in the 20.2.
Fraser and Toomey were crowned the two fittest people on Earth, in the 2019 CrossFit Open. However, the Open is another level of challenging, especially with this season’s workouts. The 20.2 had a long workout, with the intent of tiring out the athletes. While there was not a lot of heavy lifting, it was a long set, going 20 minutes.
This ended up being trouble for some people, trying to complete the workout. Fraser and Toomey were both among the list of athletes who suffered penalties from the 20.2. While their offenses were not that serious, some others had some big penalties.
These are the athletes who received scoring adjustments for their penalities
- Lefteris Theofanidis – adjustment for false start and heels not breaking the vertical plane on toes-to-bar
- Noah Ohlsen – adjustment from 980 to 973 for rounds where he did not complete the required number of double-unders
- Mathew Fraser – adjustment for final toes-to-bar after time cap
- Simon Mäntylä – major penalty for consistent lack of depth and lockout on thrusters
- Chandler Smith –adjustment from 922 to 898 because in 24 of 27 rounds, he performed only 23 double-unders
- Kristi Eramo O’Connell – adjustment from 954 to 946 for rounds where she did not complete the required number of double-unders
- Karin Freyova – adjustment for final thruster performed after the time cap
- Katelin Van Zy – adjustment for last 4 double-unders performed after time cap
- Kristine Best – adjustment for completing only 23 double-unders one round
Additionally, these athletes were penalized for a false start:
Lefteris Theofanidis, Björgvin Karl Guðmundsson, Giorgos Karavis, Patrick Vellner, Josh Miller, Jean-Simon Roy-Lemaire, Logan Collins, Cole Sager, Scott Tetlow, Martin Fuentes, Samuel Cournoyer, Brendan Willis, Sean Sweeney, Willy Georges, David Shorunke, Jeffery Moss, Karar Margrander, Adam Klink
Jamie Greene,Tia-Clair Toomey, Emma McQuaid, Carol-Ann Reason-Thibault, Camilla Salomonsson Hellman, Gabriela Migala, Brooke Wells, Andrea Solberg, Meg Reardon, Dani Speegle, Emily Rolfe, Bethany Shadburne, Emilia Leppanen, Andrea Nisler, Kristine Best
View this post on Instagram
Smiling because 20.2 is in the past👋🏼 ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ What’s coming for the future? I’m terms of the CrossFit Open who knows🤷🏼♀️ but what I do know is the Fall Line for @bornprimitive is gonna be LIVE this confirm Monday (10/28) so you guys better sign up for that early VIP access so you can shop all the goodies on FRIDAY! (10/25) ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Use the link below to sign up for VIP access! Link is also in my bio!!💁🏼♀️👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼 ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ https://bornprimitive.com/pages/fall-2019-vip-signup ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 📸 👉🏼 @furyphotography
These harsh penalties show just how difficult the CrossFit Open is. Moreover, the top athletes like Mat Fraser, and Tia-Clair Toomey are unable to escape unscathed. Additinoally, this season is particularly difficult, with each workout being harder than the last. With these penalties, the leaderboard will certainly be adjusted.
The workout for the 20.4 is revealed tonight. Stay tuned to FitnessVolt for updates as the announcement is made.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.