Phillip Herndon has been dominating the squat with wraps in the 110-kilogram weight class for some time now. However, to further assert his dominance, Phillip wants to become the greatest in the raw division as well.. He has been training hard and the results have been impressive, as he has been claiming new PRs for the past few weeks. Phillip Herndon posted a massive 385-kilogram (848.8-pound) squat PR on his Instagram account on June 11, 2022.
Phillip Herndon’s new squat PR is raw, as he only used a lifting belt, knee sleeves, and wrist wraps to aid him in this impressive feat of strength. Although it is still not heavy enough to break the world record, Phillip’s squat is just 5 kilograms (11 pounds) away from it. Kevin Oak holds the current raw squat record of 390 kilograms (859.8 pounds), and he set it at the 2020 WRPF Hybrid Showdown II.
The ease with which Phillip Herndon moved the 385 kilograms (848.8 pounds) makes it seem like he could add those few kilograms right now. However, Phillip is preparing for the 2022 WRPF American Pro, which will take place on July 29-30, in Manassas, VA. With almost two months left, it is not impossible that Phillip becomes the first athlete in the 110-kilogram weight class to squat 400 kilograms (881.8 pounds) raw.
You can watch the lift here:
“385kg 847lbs in sleeves for a solid PR 🚨
Might almost be time to take the sleeve ATWR.”
Phillip Herndon already holds the Squat W/Wraps All-Time World Record in the 110-kilogram weight class, which is probably the pinnacle of his career so far. Besides his World Record, Phillip Herndon has had a very successful career so far. Phillip has taken part in a total of 35 sanctioned powerlifting competitions, and won 23 of them.
Phillip Herndon’s Greatest Performances
- 2022 USPC Mid-Atlantic Classic — First-place
- 2021 WRPF Kern US Open — First-place
- 2020 USPA Pioneer Open — First-place
- 2020 MM National Championships — First-place
- 2019 IPA National Powerlifting & Bench Press Championships — First-place
Phillip Herndon’s Competition PRs:
- Squat (Raw): 350 kilograms (771.6 pounds) — (2021 USPA Pennsylvania State Championship)
- Squat (with wraps): 435 kilograms (959 pounds) — U110KG World Record — (2022 USPC Mid-Atlantic Classic)
- Bench Press (raw): 230 kilograms (507 pounds) — (2021 USPA Pennsylvania State Championship)
- Deadlift (raw): 369 kilograms (813.5 pounds) — (2022 USPC Mid-Atlantic Classic)
- Total (raw with wraps): 1,009 kilograms (2,224.4 pounds) — (2022 USPC Mid-Atlantic Classic)
Phillip Herndon is only 26 years of age and has already made a significant impact on the sport of powerlifting. If he is successful in breaking the raw squat World Record, Phillip will undoubtedly become one of, if not the greatest, pound-for-pound squatters in the world.