The twisting crunch is a simple, yet very effective exercise for the abdominal and oblique muscles which make up the core. You don’t need any equipment except a soft surface and a bench which is optional. So, it’s a very convenient movement you can do anywhere and still get gains!
Now, when you do the exercise, hand placement is optional as well and you can do the movement anyway which allows you to execute comfortably and effectively. So, include the twisting crunch in your routine for complete core development and to ensure you’re always stimulating these muscles fully.
In This Exercise:
- Target Muscle Group: Rectus Abdominis, Internal and External Obliques
- Type: Strength
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Equipment: Exercise Mat
- Difficulty: Beginner
- Lie face up on the exercise mat with your feet flat the ground or up on a bench.
- Place your hands lightly behind your head.
- Crunch and twist to one side.
- Lower back down so your head is a few inches from the floor and then crunch to the other side.
- Complete the ideal number of reps for the movement.
Variations & Tips:
- You can elevate your feet on a bench to perform the exercise.
- Contract your core during each repetition.
- The twisting crunch works both the abs and obliques for complete core development.
Watch: How to do the twisting crunch
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.