The weighted sissy squat is a great leg exercise which is a variation of the squat commonly used for building muscle and strength in the legs. Now, the quads are the main target muscle during the sissy squat but the hamstrings, glutes, calves, and core also receive stimulation as secondary muscles.
This is a great exercise for those who do not like barbell squats, or who just need an alternative leg exercise with little set up required. The sissy squat is also a very functional exercise as you have to stabilize your body to perform the movement effectively.
But rather than squatting through your heels, the sissy squat requires you to squat with the balls of your feet and that’s what makes this exercise unique but effective.
In This Exercise
- Target muscle Group: Quadriceps
- Type: Strength
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Stand in front of something stable and hold onto it with one hand for balance. Position your feet at a slightly wider than shoulder-width distance apart.
- Then, hold one weight plate in your free arm across your chest.
- Now, squat down past parallel but lean your torso back and bring your knees over your feet so you’re on the balls of your feet. Inhale during this portion of the exercise.
- Then, squat back up through the balls of your feet until you’re standing straight. Exhale during this portion of the exercise.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
Variations & Tips:
- You can use only your bodyweight if you’re a beginner.
- Make sure to lean your torso back safely and squat so your knees pass your feet.
- You should be squatting with the balls of your feet rather than with your heels.
- You should feel the sissy squat in your quads.
- Try not to squat too deep or you could place additional stress on your knees.
- The sissy squat is a great squat alternative which creates more resistance than a standard bodyweight squat.