Saving Asgard and your race is fine, but if you have a younger brother like Loki, you have to be strong enough to be able to whoop his rear and bring him into line.
Although the 38-year-old Australian was in pretty good shape before he began filming for Thor, training to look like a Marvel superhero was more work than he had expected.
Chris Hemsworth underwent an intense training regimen and a strict diet to look his best onscreen. Not only was Chris’ workout program designed to get him big and strong, but it also added a functional aspect to his training.
Marvel got Thor’s intro scene all wrong if you ask us. Hemsworth should have surfed into the opening shot while swinging his hammer, Mjölnir. It might sound like a scene out of Aquaman, but who cares?
Building arms, shoulders, and washboard abs like Thor might sound like a daunting task, but Chris Hemsworth and his personal trainer (and former Navy SEAL), Duffy Gaver, were able to get the desired results with a pretty straightforward training and diet program.
Chris Hemsworth Thor Workout Program
If you want to look like Thor, you have come to the right place.
A Primer For The Thor Workout
1. Free Weights Are King
Thor will confirm that free weights (and not Odin) are the real king. Chris Hemsworth prefers free weights over machines as compound (multi-joint) lifts can improve your overall muscle mass, strength, and functionality.
Duffy Graver needed to make sure that Hemsworth remained mobile so he could perform most of his stunts himself. Compound lifts like deadlifts, squats, bench press make up a good chunk of Hemsworth’s workouts.
2. Keep Your Workout Intensity High
Chris Hemsworth completes his workouts within an hour. Keeping rest between sets to a minimum helps him maintain his workout intensity. Give yourself a one-hour deadline when you step inside the gym and finish your workouts before the time runs out.
3. Do Not Overexert Yourself
Most people make the mistake of doing too much when they start a transformation program. Bodybuilding is not as hard or complicated as some people make it to be. You do not need fancy equipment or modified exercises to get results.
Being patient and sticking to the basics will help you achieve your dream physique while reducing the risk of an injury.
4. Never Miss Rest Days
When lifters are on a timeline, they don’t want to waste any time and begin skipping rest days. These individuals consider rest days as wasted days. Off-days are essential for recovery as your body needs time to recuperate from your workouts.
Chris Hemsworth Training Program
Since Thor often appears sleeveless in the Marvel movies, Graver focused on Hemsworth’s arms and shoulders.
Since Chris Hemsworth ate like it was the end of the world, his workouts had to be intense enough to ensure he was not putting on body fat. Duffy Graver designed the Thor workout program so that the calories Chris was eating are consumed as a source of energy in his workouts.
So, buckle up because things are going to get nasty.
Day 1 – Back
1. Pull-Up – 5 Sets 20, 15, 12, 10, 10 Reps – 30-second Rest
2. Deadlift – 3 Sets 12, 10, 8 Reps – 30-second Rest
3. Hammer Strength Two-Arm Row – 4 Sets 12 Reps – 30-second Rest
4. Dumbbell Row – 4 Sets 12 Reps – 30-second Rest
5. Swiss Ball Hyperxtension – 4 Sets 25, 20, 15, 15 Reps – 30-second Rest
Day 2 – Chest
1. Barbell Bench Press – 8 Sets 12, 10, 10, 8, 8, 6, 4, 4, 4 Reps – 30-second Rest
2. Incline Dumbbell Bench Press – 4 Sets 12 Reps – 30-second Rest
3. Hammer Strength Chest Press – 4 Sets 15 Reps – 30-second Rest
4. Weighted Dip – 4 Sets 10 Reps – 30-second Rest
5. Cable Fly – 4 Sets 12 Reps – 30-second Rest
Day 3 – Legs
1. Squat – 7 Sets 10, 8 ,6, 5, 4, 3, 3 Reps – 30-second Rest
2. Leg Press – 1 Set To Failure – 30-second Rest
3. Bodyweight Walking Lunge – 4 Sets 20 Reps – 30-second Rest
4. Single-Leg Curl – 3 Sets 20 Reps (Each Side) – 30-second Rest
5. Standing Calf Raise – 3 Sets 20 Reps – 30-second Rest
Day 4 – Shoulders
1. Military Press – 7 Sets 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 3 Reps – 30-second Rest
2. Arnold Press – 4 Sets 12 Reps – 30-second Rest
3. Barbell Shrug – 4 Sets 12 Reps – 30-second Rest
4. Dumbbell Lateral Raise – 3 Sets 15 Reps – 30-second Rest
5. Dumbbell Front Raise – 3 Sets 15 Reps – 30-second Rest
6. Dumbbell Rear-Delt Fly – 3 Sets 15 Reps – 30-second Rest
Day 5 – Arms
1. Barbell Bicep Curl – 3 Sets 10 Reps – 30-second Rest
2. Skull Crusher – 3 Sets 10 Reps – 30-second Rest
3. EZ-Bar Preacher Curl – 3 Sets 10 Reps – 30-second Rest
4. Dumbbell Lying Tricep Extension – 3 Sets 10 Reps – 30-second Rest
5. Dumbbell Hammer Curl – 3 Sets 12 Reps – 30-second Rest
6. Rope Pressdown – 3 Sets 12 Reps – 30-second Rest
7. Barbell Wrist Curl – 3 Sets 20 Reps – 30-second Rest
8. Barbell Reverse Wrist Curl – 3 Sets 20 Reps – 30-second Rest
Ab Circuit X 3 Rounds
1. Plank – 60 Seconds
2. Hanging Leg Raise – 60 Seconds
3. Side Plank – 60 Seconds
4. Toes To Bar – 12 Reps
It is fascinating how Chris Hemsworth maintains his washboard abs while eating a truckload of calories.
You could perform three rounds of the ab circuit twice a week to keep your midsection in top conditioning.
Do you want to know the craziest part about Hemsworth’s workouts? None of his workouts lasted more than an hour. His short yet effective training sessions speak volumes about his training intensity. We are yet to hear about other celebs who keep their workouts shorter than sixty minutes.
Chris Hemsworth Thor Diet Program
Hemsworth is not new to physique transformations or changing diet regimens. He has taken his body to extremes as he starved himself while preparing for the role of Owen Chase in “In the Heart of the Sea.” On the other hand, he put on considerable muscle mass to play the hammer-wielding mighty Thor, and now we can not wait to watch him play Hulk Hogan in the wrestler’s much-awaited biopic.
Duffy Graver does not fool around when it comes to diet programs. Not only is Graver particular about what his clients eat, but he also stresses eating at regular intervals throughout the day.
While training for Thor, Chris Hemsworth ate six meals a day. And by ‘meals,’ we mean a truckload of calories and not some cute little snacks like protein bars. By the end of this transformation program, you will realize that following a diet plan can be as tuff (if not more) as following a training routine.
Staples from the Chris Hemsworth’s Thor Diet
1. Chicken – Chicken breast is one of the best sources of protein. We do not know about Greek gods, but Thor would have impressed Ronnie Coleman with the good old chicken in his diet.
2. Quinoa – It is one of the few vegetarian foods that is a complete protein (contain all nine essential amino acids). Quinoa is rich in fiber, magnesium, B vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin E.
3. Egg Whites – They are probably one of the most common food items on a lifter’s grocery list. Egg whites are a quality, quick, convenient, and affordable source of protein.
4. Sweet Potato – Most people overlook the importance of fiber in their diet. Fiber plays a vital role in absorbing protein and other macro and micronutrients. Sweet potato is also rich in carbs, iron, calcium, B vitamins, vitamin C, and beta-carotene.
5. Brown Rice – On a transformation program, many people make the mistake of cutting out carbs from their diet. Carbs coming from quality sources like whole grains are essential for maintaining optimal body functioning.
6. Green Veggies – Leafy green vegetables are some of the most nutrient-rich, calorie-light foods. They are packed with numerous vitamins and minerals. A study found that regularly eating leafy greens can boost muscle function.
7. Fish – One of the most calorie-efficient and best sources of protein. Fish is rich in Omega 3 fatty acids and improves both physical and mental functioning.
8. Beans – Beans were a part of Hemsworth’s diet program throughout his transformation for Thor. They are one of the best vegetarian protein sources.
9. Bananas – Bananas are rich in fiber and potassium. They are filling and can also aid with digestion and boost heart health.
10. Whey Protein Shake – A protein shake holds a special place in a lifter’s cupboard. They are a high-quality protein source and are convenient to consume.
Chris Hemsworth added another obstacle in his transformation program by turning vegan while shooting for Thor: Ragnarok and threw out all animal products from his diet. Graver and Hemsworth passed the test as Hemsworth turned out bigger, meaner, and leaner for the sequel.
Although Chris stuck to the vegan lifestyle for the majority of his transformation program, he loaded up on lean and healthy proteins like chicken breast and fish as the shooting schedule neared.
Chris Hemsworth Thor Diet Schedule
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- fat-free milk
- 4 egg whites
- 1 whole egg
- 50g cheese
- protein shake
- orange juice
- cottage cheese
- turkey roll
- mixed nuts
- protein shake
- Beef jerky
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 glass of fat-free milk
- 100g brow rice
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 cup kidney beans
- 3 salmon fillet
- 100g quinoa
- 100g asparagus
- 1 glass of fat-free milk
- 2 boiled eggs
- 2 brown bread slices
- protein shake
Now that is a lot of food. Although this diet plan will make you feel like you are eating non-stop throughout the day, it will not burn a hole through your pocket.
Related Read: Eat Like A Pro Bodybuilder On A Tight Budget
“People see Chris and they think he was on steroids, but he didn’t touch a single substance,” Gaver says. “It was just red meat, heavy weights, and some protein powder. He crushed every single workout. He simply decided to look like Thor.” With all said and done, this is the ultimate compliment a lifter could get.
- Wolverine Workout Program – Get Ripped Like Hugh Jackman in 8 Weeks
- Michael B. Jordan’s ‘Creed Diet &’ Workout Program to Get You Ripped
- The Rock’s Secret Diet & Training Program To Get You Jacked
Remember: Thor’s training and diet programs are all about consistency, dedication, and intensity. Fall short in any one of the departments, and you will never be able to save Asgard, or more importantly, whoop your little brother’s ass.
By the end of the transformation program, Hemsworth gained 20 pounds. This program laid the foundation for a physique that Chris maintained at or close to peak condition for Thor’s role throughout the Marvel movies.
The program is proven to work, but the question remains – Do you have the grit, commitment, and passion to see it through?
We are looking forward to hearing your transformation stories. God speed!