The standing twisting cable row is a compound exercise which works essentially all of the back muscles of the upper posterior chain. It’s a great way to put a twist on a popular exercise which engages the muscles even more during the movement.
Now, this is a great exercise for anyone with any level of training experience so it’s highly recommended for maximum development. But, the unilateral benefits are great for overall functionality and muscle balance. And training with cables is very effective for keeping tension on the muscles throughout the exercise which is a big benefit as well.
So, don’t forget to make the standing twisting cable row a staple in your back training routine.
In This Exercise:
- Target Muscle Group: All back muscles (Rhomboids, Latissimus Dorsi, Trapezius, Erector Spinae)
- Type: Strength
- Mechanics: Compound
- Equipment: Cable machine
- Difficulty: Beginner
- Attach a single grip handle to the top of the cable pulley.
- Then, grab the handle with your left hand and place your right foot forward for balance.
- Now, pull the handle back past your left side and twist your torso to the left at the same time.
- Hold for a couple of seconds.
- Extend your arm back toward the machine until you feel a slight stretch in your lat muscle.
- Repeat the exercise for the ideal number of reps.
- Switch to your right side and place your left foot forward for balance.
- Alternate between arms for sets.
Variations & Tips:
- The twist during the movement further engages the lat muscles.
- Always keep the opposite foot of the muscle you’re working in front, for a balance.
- The standing twisting cable row works all back muscles which make up the upper posterior chain.