The tricep rope pushdown is an effective isolation exercise which builds muscle and strength in all three tricep heads. Now, this is one of the best exercises for overall Tricep development so it’s recommended for all experience levels of training. And you can really isolate the muscle while using a heavy weight which is ideal for muscle hypertrophy.
The tricep rope pushdown is a must in any Tricep routine and it will bring up your arm development significantly. So, make it a main lift along with your compound exercise and you’ve got a winning combination for maximum results.
In This Exercise:
- Target Muscle Group: Triceps Brachii
- Type: Strength
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Equipment: Cable machine, rope attachment
- Difficulty: beginner
- Attach a double rope handle to the highest notch on the cable machine.
- Then, stand with one foot forward for balance and grip the rope handles while tucking in your arms to your sides.
- Now, push the rope down by extending your triceps and hold for 2 seconds. Do not lock out your elbows. Exhale during this portion of the exercise.
- Slowly, extend your forearms back up until they’re parallel to the floor. Inhale during this portion of the exercise.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
Variations & Tips:
- Spread the rope handles apart during the concentric (Positive) portion of the exercise to stimulate the outer tricep heads.
- Always warm up sufficiently to keep strain off your elbows and to keep tension on your triceps.
- Do not lock out your elbows during the exercise.
- Do not bring your forearms above parallel to the floor during the eccentric (Negative) portion of the exercise as this can cause elbow pain and discomfort.
- The tricep rope pushdown exercise works all three tricep heads.
Watch: How to do the Tricep rope pushdown
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.