It was a busy weekend in bodybuilding as events took place around the world. The 2023 Tokyo Pro was one of them and featured athletes from the Classic Physique, Men’s Physique, and Bikini categories in Tokyo, Japan on August 27. This competition was a qualifier for the upcoming Olympia contest.
Unlike years in the past, athletes will not have the opportunity to stamp their ticket to the annual Olympia show with points. The point system has been removed and the only way to advance to the Olympia stage is by claiming gold at a Pro show.
This year’s 2023 Mr. Olympia event will take over Orlando, Florida inside the Orange County Convention Center from November 2-5. Following a thrilling competition, Shicheng Jin took home gold in Classic Physique. Joven Sagabain earned first in Men’s Physique, and Yurika Shigemoto was crowned champion in Bikini as well. All the respective winners will have a shot at facing the reigning Olympia champions of their divisions.
2023 Tokyo Pro Winners
- Classic Physique: Shicheng Jin
- Men’s Physique: Joven Sagabain
- Bikini: Yurika Shigemoto
2023 Tokyo Pro Results Breakdown
- Winner — Shicheng Jin
- Second Place — Shi Tian Wang
- Third Place — Ying Qi Lei
- Fourth Place — Li-Hsuan Liu
- Fifth Place — Chen Hui Lu
- Sixth Place — Hyun Seok Lee
- Seventh Place — Hang Sang Tae
- Eighth Place — Thomas Kunz
- Ninth Place — Kei Furukoshi
- Tenth Place — Shin Kodama
Classic Physique talent impressed the judges on August 27 with stellar looks. Shi Tian Wang proved himself in the finals with a complete physique. He battled with Shicheng Jin, who last earned his Pro card at the 2019 Worldwide Romania Musclefest Pro Qualifier. After a heated showdown, Shicheng Jin secured the win.
Shi Tian Wang and Ying Qi Lei took second and third.
- Winner — Joven Sagabain
- Second Place — Shun Kaneko
- Third Place — Yukihiro Yuasa
- Fourth Place — Ryo Terashima
- Fifth Place — Shogo Sato
- Sixth Place — Tomohito “Jin” Koike
- Seventh Place — Joshua Eng Cherng Shin
- Eighth Place — Eric Neal
- Ninth Place — Khrisna Purnama Putra
- Tenth Place — Edward Kato
Contenders got to work in Tokyo, Japan. Shun Kaneko brought an eye-catching combination of shoulder and arm definition. He came into this event as the reigning, defending Men’s Physique Tokyo Pro champion, having taken the title last year (2022). Meanwhile, Joven Sagabain brought a balanced look and last competed at the 2022 Olympia but placed outside the top 15. Ultimately, Joven Sagabin got the job done and earned gold!
- Winner — Yurika Shigemoto
- Second Place — Shuai Li
- Third Place — Heather Hei Man Kam
- Fourth Place — MinHee Baek
- Fifth Place — Sol Han
- Sixth Place — Yume Kurokawa
- Seventh Place — Amanda Lee Jiawen
- Eighth Place — Kana Suzuki
- Ninth Place — Jiaqi Wei
- Tenth Place — Noriko Ohara
In the Bikini category, Shuai Li battled in prejudging and finals with a balanced physique. She was up against stiff competition in Tokyo. One threat happened to be 2023 Texas Pro fourth-place finisher Yurika Shigemoto, who arguably looked better than in Arlington. In the end, Yurika Shigemoto finished first place.
Shuai Li and Heather Hei Man Kam took second and third.
2023 Tokyo Pro Scorecards
Fitness Volt staff wish the winners the best of luck on the Olympia stage!