The seated cable row is a great compound movement for building muscle and strength in the back muscles of the upper posterior chain (Backside of the body). Now, it’s an exercise that anyone can do regardless of training experience and the benefits are a big reason why everyone should incorporate the cable row in their workout routine for maximum results.
Cable machines are amazing tools because they always keep constant tension on the muscles which is very necessary for overall muscle hypertrophy. The seated cable row is highly recommended as an effective back exercise which promotes overall back development.
In This Exercise:
- Target Muscle Group: All back muscles (Lattisimus Dorsi, Rhomboids, Traps, Spinal Erectors)
- Type: Strength
- Mechanics: Compound
- Equipment: Cable row machine
- Difficulty: Beginner
- Attach a bar grip (Your choice) to the cable pulley on the cable row machine.
- Then, sit on the bench and place your feet on the platform.
- Now, grab the bar grip and slide back on the bench slightly so that your arms are extended.
- Then, pull the bar towards your stomach and retract your shoulder blades while squeezing your back muscles. Exhale during this portion of the exercise.
- Hold for 2 seconds.
- Now, slowly straighten your arms until they are almost straight don’t lock out your elbows. Inhale during this portion of the exercise.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
Variations & Tips:
- Always keep your knees bent and don’t lock out your elbows.
- Avoid using a lot of momentum.
- Start with lighter resistance loads if you’re a beginner until you develop perfect form.
- The seated cable row works the entire back and all of its associated muscles. But it also works the biceps and forearms as secondary movers during the exercise.
Watch: How to do the seated cable row