Hunter Hernst Helmsley AKA Triple H is a popular name in the pro wrestling circuit. He is a multiple time world champion and one of the most popular wrestlers from the Attitude era of the WWE. In a career spanning over two decades, Triple H has treated the pro wrestling fans with a number of exciting and memorable matches against elite pro wrestlers like The Undertaker, Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson, Kurt Angle, Dave Batista and John Cena to name a few.
In many ways, Triple H during his wrestling career was a perfect villain that elevated the fan favorites to the next level with his evil characters. This is his complete biography, workout and diet regimen as well as statistics.
|Full Name: Hunter Hernst Helmsley (Born – Paul Michael Levesque)|
|255 lbs (115.66 kg)||6’4” (192.93 cm)||53 years|
|Date of Birth||Nationality||Place of Birth|
|27th July 1969||American||Nashua, New Hampshire|
Triple H Biography
Paul Michael Levesque was born in Nashua, New Hampshire in 1969. He played baseball and basketball during his high school days and developed an interest in bodybuilding at the age of 14 because he wanted a physique like professional wrestlers. He started participating in bodybuilding competitions after graduating from school in 1987 and won the 1988 Mr. Teenage New Hampshire crown.
Pro Wrestling Career
After receiving the training at a professional wrestling school in Malden, Massachusetts, Levesque made a professional debut in retired professional wrestler Killer Kowalski’s promotion IWF. He then competed in the West coast independent circuit until 1993. His big break came in 1994 when he signed a one-year contract with World Championship Wrestling (WCW). He gained prominence after signing with the WWE (Formerly known as WWF). Levesque started his WWF career as Connecticut Blueblood. According to Levesque, he was originally given the name Reginald DuPont Helmsley in the WWF.
However, he wanted to play with the initials of his ring name and suggested the name Hunter Hernst Helmsley to the management and they agreed to it. This was the starting point of his journey as Triple H. Triple H shot to fame as a member of The Kliq and D-Generation X stable which was an important aspect of the attitude era of the WWE.
By the turn of the century, Triple H was starting to be regarded as one of the greatest pro wrestlers and headlined the superbowl of pro wrestling, Wrestlemania, seven times in his career. He won several championships throughout his career and became a five-time intercontinental champion, three-time world tag team champion, two-time European champion and a fourteen-time world champion.
These accomplishments made him the seventh triple crown champion in WWE history. A triple crown champion is an accomplishment recognized by many promotions for the competitors that won three different titles in the same promotion. Additionally, he is also honored with the grand slam title which is given to athletes that win at least four separate titles in the promotion. Triple H won the Royal Rumble match twice in his career and also won the King of the Ring tournament. He was inducted in the WWE Hall of Fame in 2019.
The 53-year-old suffered a myocardial infarction in 2021 due to a genetic heart condition. He had to undergo a 15-hour long operation at the Yale New Haven Hospital. Following this, Triple H called an end to his ring career after Wrestlemania 38 and took up corporate roles in the company.
Career outside the ring
Triple H has authored a book ‘Making the Game: Triple H’s Approach to a Better Body’. The book focuses on bodybuilding advice along with memoirs and some biographical information. It was released in 2004. Triple H founded and managed the WWE’s developmental branch NXT. He was widely praised for the business acumen as NXT became a successful brand.
Triple H started his journey as an executive while being an active pro wrestler. He was first appointed as an executive senior advisor in the WWE in 2010 and soon became the Executive vice president, talent and live events. Triple H got actively involved in the storylines of the WWE and started working with the creative team when he was promoted to the position of Executive vice president, talent, live events and creative. After working through different roles, Triple H carved a niche for himself behind the desk. The WWE promoted Helmsley to the role of Chief Content Officer for the company in September 2022. In his current role, the 53-year-old looks after talent relations, live events, creative writing as well as the talent development department.
Triple H became popular as a villain against the fan favorites like Mick Foley, Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson, The Undertaker and John Cena for the majority of his pro wrestling career. Although he has been criticized for using his relationship with the McMahon family to stay at the top during the later stages of his career, it is undeniably true that Triple H belongs in the category of greatest wrestlers of all time.
Triple H Training Program
As everyone knows by now, the pro wrestling matches in the WWE are rehearsed. However, that does not mean the feats of strength observed during those matches are possible with illusionary tricks. There is a very real element of risk in performing the hardcore stunts. Triple H, like every pro wrestler, trains to prepare his body for entertaining fans at the risk of his own safety. The goal of his training regimen is to develop and maintain the strength, endurance as well as athletic ability to perform the pro wrestling moves.
Dreaming about it and making it a reality…
…are two completely different things!#DoTheWork #OneDayCloser pic.twitter.com/LOqyGLXhzN
— Triple H (@TripleH) February 25, 2017
Triple H’s training routine has five training splits. He has two dedicated training sessions for chest and triceps, one session for back, biceps and legs and one session for only back and legs. The 50-year-old observes a rest day after the first two training days of the week. Additionally, the training split is designed in such a way that no muscle group will get overworked or fatigued over the course of the week. He performs three to four different exercises for targeting each muscle group and mostly uses gym equipment and machines for training. Each training session starts with dynamic warm-up and mobility exercises followed by intense weight training.
Day 1 – Chest and Triceps Workout
- Incline Bench Press – 2 to 4 sets of 6 to 10 reps
- Bench Press – 2 to 4 sets of 6 to 10 reps
- Dumbbell Presses – 2 to 4 sets of 6 to 10 reps
- Lateral Raises or Upright Rows – 2 to 4 sets of 6 to 10 reps
- Triceps Pushdowns – 2 to 4 sets of 6 to 10 reps
Day 2 – Back, Biceps and Legs Workout
- Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns – 2 to 4 sets of 12 to 15 reps
- Dumbbell Rows – 2 to 4 sets of 12 to 15 reps
- Hyperextensions – 1 to 2 sets of 12 to 15 reps
- Dumbbell Curls – 2 to 4 sets of 12 to 15 reps
- Barbell Curls – 2 to 4 sets of 12 to 15 reps
- Leg Extensions – 2 to 4 sets of 12 to 15 reps
- Leg Curls – 2 to 4 sets of 6 to 10 reps
- Calf Raises – 2 to 4 sets of 6 to 10 reps
Day 3 – Rest Day
Day 4 – Chest and Triceps Workout
- Incline Bench Press – 2 to 4 sets of 12 to 15 reps
- Bench Press – 2 to 4 sets of 12 to 15 reps
- Dumbbell Bench Press – 2 to 4 sets of 12 to 15 reps
- Lateral Raises or Upright Rows – 2 to 4 sets of 12 to 15 reps
- Triceps Pushdowns – 2 to 4 sets of 12 to 15 reps
- Lying Triceps Extensions – 2 to 4 sets of 12 to 15 reps
Day 5 – Back and Legs Workout
- Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns – 2 to 4 sets of 6 to 10 reps
- Dumbbell Rows – 2 to 4 sets of 6 to 10 reps
- Hyperextensions – 1 to 2 sets of 10 to 15 reps
- Dumbbell Curls – 2 to 4 sets of 6 to 10 reps
- Barbell Curls – 2 to 4 sets of 6 to 10 reps
- Leg Extensions – 2 to 4 sets of 6 to 10 reps
- Leg Press – 2 to 4 sets of 6 to 10 reps
- Leg Curls – 2 to 4 sets of 6 to 10 reps
- Calf Raises – 2 to 4 sets of 6 to 10 reps
Triple H Diet
Maintaining a 6ft-4in and 255lbs muscular physique is not as easy as it seems. Triple H eats small meals throughout the day to maintain energy levels and keep the metabolism levels high. The staple foods in his diet are not complex and he sticks to simple ingredients like chicken, fish, fruits and vegetables. However, he does make sure to consume a balanced diet rich in all the nutrients. Triple H is not rigid about his food choices and keeps the door open for incorporating different nutrient-dense healthy foods in his diet plan.
Staple Foods in Triple H’s diet
Fruits – Apples and Peaches are Triple H’s favorite fruits and he makes sure to include them in his diet plan to satisfy his cravings for food rather than indulging in unhealthy junk foods.
Vegetables – Triple H recommends incorporating vegetables in the diet to meet the requirement for vitamins and minerals.
Fish – It is one of the primary sources of protein in Triple H’s diet. Being low in fat and relatively easier to digest, fish are an excellent food option.
Chicken – A large part of Triple H’s profession is the optics or the massive look to the physique. He prefers chicken to add bulk to his physique and maintain the muscle mass.
- Whey Protein – Whey is an excellent way to increase the daily protein intake without having to consume massive amounts of food. Although you can absolutely do without the protein shakes, they are certainly a convenient source of good quality protein and also help in the post-workout recovery.
- Fish Oils – Fish oils are an abundant source of Omega-3 Fatty Acids that help fight inflammation and also keep the heart healthy.
- Protein Bars – Another source of high quality protein that is convenient for those with busy schedules.
- Creatine – Creatine gives Triple H the explosive energy boost for the workouts and helps his post-workout recovery as well.
Foods that Triple H avoids
There are certain foods that will never make it to Triple H’s diet plan. Flavorful empty calories are the biggest obstacle in the way of a healthy mind and body. Foods devoid of nutrition value never never find their way into Triple H’s diet plan. Some of these include:
- Potato Chips – Generally, potato chips have a very high concentration of Sodium which can cause serious health issues over long periods of time, especially blood pressure.
- Packaged Snacks – high in salts, preservatives and artificial ingredients
- Junk Foods
- High Carbohydrate Foods – Make the body dependent on carbohydrates for energy and result in weight gain
- Sugar – These contain empty calories without essential nutrients and are best avoided.
- Saturated Fats – Saturated fats are believed to promote health issues and a lot of people including Triple H seem to avoid them for this very reason.
After an on-screen storyline marriage, Triple H started dating and married Stephanie McMahon on October 25, 2003. The couple has three daughters, Aurora Rose, Murphy Claire and Vaughn Evelyn. The couple has utilized their fame and fortune for philanthropic initiatives as well. In 2014, Triple H and Stephanie created the Conor’s Cure cancer fund in memory of Conor ‘The Crusher’ Michalek. He was a WWE fan that died of cancer at a young age of eight years.
Leave a Reply