The twisting cable overhead press is a very effective shoulder press variation which works the anterior (Front) deltoids. Now, it’s a pretty simple exercise to perform and anyone can do it effectively which makes it ideal for size and strength gains. But, when you twist your torso during the movement, you create more momentum to press more weight and work your core as a secondary muscle.
So, that is why this variation so effective but you have to perform the exercise with one arm at a time which improves unilateral strength as well. The twisting cable overhead press is an excellent addition to your shoulder routine.
In This Exercise
- Target Muscle Group: Anterior Deltoid
- Type: Strength
- Mechanics: Compound
- Equipment: Cables
- Difficulty: Beginner
- Attach a single grip handle to a low cable pulley.
- Then, grab the handle with your left arm and stand up straight.
- Now, squat down and then squat back up while twisting your torso to the right and press the cable overhead.
- Complete the desired number of reps with your left arm.
- Then, grab the cable with your right arm and perform the exercise by twisting your torso to the left while pressing the cable overhead.
- Perform desired reps with your right arm.
- Alternate between both arms for sets.
Variations & Tips:
- Twist your torso to the right when working your left deltoid, and turn it to the left when working your right deltoid.
- You can also use resistance bands as an alternative to cables.
- You can only perform this exercise with one arm at a time.
- The twisting cable overhead press works the anterior deltoids primarily, but it also works the triceps and core secondarily.
Watch: How to do the twisting cable overhead press
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.