Chris Bumstead is one of the world’s most elite Classic Physique bodybuilders. Now he gives fans a look at what makes up his training regimen.
Bumstead has accomplished a ton as a Classic Physique competitior. As a result, he is looked at by some as having the ideal physique for the division. This form of competition is not being entirely about muscle mass. Instead, judges look for someone to have a fair amount of bulk, while maintaining their natural form.
By those standards, there is little doubt how talented and good of an athlete Bumstead is. Subsequnetly, he further established that, as he won the 2019 Mr. Olympia. He had been battling back and forth with former champ Breon Ansley for years, but was finally able to win.
Following this victory, Bumstead has chosen to reveal some of what training he does to get his physique. Although it is not an easy routine, Chris uploaded a video to explain the entirety of his workout. The routine, which he refers to as the Push, Pull, Legs routine is made up of several parts.
Check out the video:
This is how the workout breaks down:
- BB Press (incline/flat) – 2×5-8(heavy), 1×10-12(moderate)
- Alternated DB OHP 3×10-12
- Any Chest Flys + Superset Tricep Extension – 3×10-12 flys, 4×7-10 triceps ext
- Lateral Raises – 4×10-12
- Dips – 3 sets to failure
- Pull Downs – 2 WU sets, 3×8-10, drop set
- Bent Over Rows – 2 WU sets, 2×6-8(heavy), 1×10-12(moderate)
- Slight Incline Seated DB curls – 4×10-12
- Pull Ups – 3 sets to failure
- EZ Bar Curls – 2×8-10, 2x40seconds
- Lunges – 3 WU sets, 3×12-15(ea leg)
- RDL or DL – 2 WU sets, 3×10-12 RDL or 3×6-8 DL
- Hip Thrusts – 3×10-12
- Seated Calf Raises 2×10-12
- Seated Calf Raise Superset Hamstring Curls – 4×10-12 calf, 2×8-10 then 2x40seconds
- Close Grip BB Bench – 3×8-10
- Standing BB OHP – 3×10-12
- Pec Deck Flys – 1×8-10, 2x40seconds
- Overhead Triceps – 3×10-12
- Lateral Raises Superset Push Ups – 4×10-12 LR and 3 sets to failure push ups
- Pull Ups – 3 WU sets
- Rack Pulls – 3 WU sets, 2×8-10
- Hammer Curls – 3×10-12
- Reverse Grip Row or Pull Down – 3×10-12
- Cable Curls – 3×10-12
- Cable Rows – 2×20 drop sets
- DB Curls – drop set
- Squats – 3 WU sets, 3×8-10, 1×4-6
- Leg Press Superset Calves – 2x40secs leg press and 2 sets to failure calf
- Hip Adductors – 4×10-12
- Standing Calf Raises – 4×10-12 then bounce reps to failure
- Quad Extensions – 2×10-12 then 2 sets triple drop set
It is also important to note that this routine is to be adjusted based on your needs.
What do you think of this intense workout from Chris Bumstead? Will you give it a try?
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.