You have to be living on an island with no connectivity to not know about Cristiano Ronaldo. But if you happen to be a caveman who just discovered the internet, let us brief you on the superstar athlete.
Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro is a Portuguese footballer who plays as a forward for Manchester United and captains the Portugal national team. Though often criticized for his selfish acts on the field, Cristiano is considered one of the greatest footballers of all time. He has won five Ballon d’Or awards and four European Golden Shoes, the most by a European player.
Cristiano Ronaldo has won 32 trophies in his career, including seven league titles, five UEFA Champions Leagues, one UEFA European Championship, and one UEFA Nations League.
Ronaldo also holds the records for most appearances (179), most goals (137) and assists (42) in the Champions League, most goals in the European Championship (14), most international goals by a male player (115), and most international appearances by a European male (182).
If this was not enough, he is one of the few players to have made over 1,100 professional career appearances and has scored over 790 official senior career goals for a club and country.
Fun fact: Cristiano Ronaldo was expelled from school after throwing a chair at his teacher, who he said had “disrespected” him.
Cristiano Ronaldo Stats
|Full Name: Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro|
|CR, CR7||185lbs (64kg)||6’1″ (186cm)|
|Age||Date of Birth||Birthplace|
|37 years||5 February 1985||Funchal, Madeira, Portugal|
Cristiano Ronaldo Diet Program
The Sultan of the Stepover abides by a very strict nutrition program. He recently made headlines when he removed coke bottles from a press conference table and advised people to drink water instead. Ronaldo’s act did not go down well with Coca-Cola’s investors as the company’s market valuation fell by $4 million. It would be safe to say Ronaldo is no longer Warren Buffet’s favorite footballer.
Cristiano Ronaldo follows a diverse diet plan that includes a variety of food sources like bread, fish, eggs, chicken, steak, and fruit juices. Also, Ronaldo does not avoid foods that are otherwise considered vile on a transformation program. He is known to relish an occasional slice of cake or chocolate bar and has a glass of vino when in the mood.
Cristiano Ronaldo Diet Principles
A workout routine (no matter how efficient) can never work well unless you couple it with a proper diet plan. These are the diet principles Ronaldo abides by:
1. Eat a Protein-Rich Diet
To build and maintain muscle mass, Cristiano Ronaldo consumes a high-protein diet. He incorporates high-protein food in every meal.
2. Avoid Sugar
Sugary foods and drinks cause the accumulation of fat and slow down metabolism.
3. Eat Enough Vegetables
Green leafy vegetables are rich in minerals, vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants. They help with muscle recovery and should be a part of your diet irrespective of if you are following a transformation program or not.
4. High Meal Frequency
Eating small meals frequently throughout the day helps keep your metabolic rate high. A high metabolic rate, in turn, facilitates the burning of fat as fuel even while you are physically inactive.
5. Use Supplements
Cristiano relies on supplements for quick recovery after his workouts and training. His supplement stack consists of protein powder, joint support supplements, and multi-vitamins.
- The Absolute Best Protein Powders of 2021 Reviewed!
- 11 Best Joint Supplements Reviewed For 2021
- The 7 Best Men’s Multivitamins for 2021
Cristiano Ronaldo Nutrition Plan
Ronaldo typically has six small meals throughout the day at 2-4 hour intervals. Given his level of physical activity, the frequent meals help sustain a consistent and optimal rate of metabolism and prevent his body from experiencing weakness and hunger during the day.
Meal #1 – Breakfast
- Whole-grain cereal – Cristiano Ronaldo swears by whole-grain or whole-wheat cereal at breakfast.
- Egg whites – No surprises here. Egg whites are a great high-protein low-carb source of calories.
- Fruit juice – Ronaldo generally avoids sugar but drinks vitamin-rich fruit juice for breakfast. His favorite fruits include pear, apple, and pineapple juice.
- Coffee – Great for waking you up in the AM.
- Cold Cuts/ lunch meats – While following a liberal nutrition plan, Cristiano Ronaldo includes cold cuts in his breakfast.
- European cheese – What good is cold cuts without cheese?
- Pastries – If you follow Ronaldo on Instagram, you know he has a thing for pastries.
- Avocado toast – Avocado on toast is a great source of healthy fats.
- Fruit – For a Portuguese, there is no breakfast without fruit.
Meal #2 – Snack #1
- Tuna roll – Fish is protein-rich, fast-absorbing, and delicious.
- Fresh bread and sardines – Cristiano takes sardines straight from the tin and slaps them on top of the bread.
Meal #3 – Lunch
- Fish – You cannot go wrong with fish in lunch.
- Chicken – Lean chicken breast is a transformation diet staple.
- Whole-wheat pasta – Filling and a great source of carbs.
- Green vegetables – They’re packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber but low in calories.
- Tuna fish with hard-boiled eggs and tomatoes – Another one straight from Cristiano’s Instagram.
Meal #4 – Snack #2
- Protein shake – On a transformation program, protein shakes are your best friend.
Meal #5 – Dinner
- Bacalhau à Brás – This Portuguese dish is Cristiano Ronaldo’s favorite.
- Steak – The football legend enjoys a hearty slab of steak.
- Side Salad – A salad of your choice.
- Chicken or turkey breast – Chicken or turkey breast with a side of rice and beans or quinoa.
- Watermelon – Lowers inflammation, oxidative stress, and keeps you hydrated.
- A glass of wine – Ronaldo mostly avoids alcohol, barring the occasional glass of vino.
Must Read: Inflammation: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
Meal #6 – Dessert
- Birthday cake – On those special occasions, Ronaldo does not say no to a slice.
- Chocolate – Because, why not?
Now before you head out looking for the nearest buffet, know that Cristiano Ronaldo did not eat all of this food in a single day. Eat everything mentioned in the diet plan every day for the next 12 weeks, and you might end up looking like a bloated Ronaldo.
Choose 3-4 food items of your choice in every meal. Switching foods every day will keep the diet plan interesting.
Cristiano Ronaldo Workout Program
Cristiano Ronaldo did not undergo a physique transformation just for the aesthetics. It was primarily to improve his performance on the field. Developing a muscular physique allowed him to overpower his opponents and retain possession of the ball under pressure. Also, Ronaldo’s ripped legs have added to his jumping ability.
Ronaldo does not follow a typical bodybuilding routine. His training regimen consists of warm-up routines, football practice, cardio, and weight training.
Cristiano Ronaldo Training Routine For a Shredded Physique
During football practice, Ronaldo performs technical drills, leg workouts, and intense cardio exercises. When he is in the gym, he focuses on cardio, ab workouts, and weight training.
Cristiano Ronaldo’s Football Training: Leg Warm-Up Routine
- Hip twister – 1 set 50-seconds, no rest
- Side-lying clam – 1 set 40-seconds (each side), no rest
- Side-lying T-stretch – 1 set 40-seconds (each side), no rest
- Bird-dog – 1 set 50-seconds, no rest
- Bodyweight squat – 1 set 50-seconds, no rest
- Reverse lunge – 1 set 40-seconds, 10-second rest
Since everyone reading this article might not be an aspiring football star, we will leave football drills out of the training program. We will be focusing on Ronaldo’s warm-up routines, leg workouts, ab workouts, and weight training.
Cristiano Ronaldo’s Quick Leg Workout
Part One: Quads, glutes, and hamstrings
- Single-leg glute bridge – 1 set 40-seconds (each side), no rest
- Reverse lunge (with dumbbells) – 1 set 30-seconds (each side), no rest
- Drop squat – 1 set 40-seconds (each side), 20-second rest
The Portuguese star ranks among the world’s fastest footballers, both with and without the ball. Leg workouts are a crucial component of his training routine.
Part Two: Definition and strength-building
- Side-lying leg raise – 1 set 50-seconds (each side), no rest
- Walking lunge (with dumbbells) – 1 set 50-seconds, no rest
- Jump squat – 1 set 30-seconds, 20-second rest
Legs are Ronaldo’s strong area. He probably has the most ripped legs amongst all pro footballers. Cristiano Ronaldo focuses on contracting his muscles during every exercise and emphasizes the importance of mind-muscle connection during training.
Part Three: Finishing power moves
- Crossback lunge – 1 set 40-seconds, no rest
- Rear-foot elevated split squat (with bench) – 1 set 40-seconds (each side), no rest
- Bodyweight squat – 1 set 30-seconds, (no rest)
- Jump squat – 1 set 30-seconds, 20-second rest
It is reported that Ronaldo trains for 3-4 hours at a time, five days a week, targeting different muscle groups on different days of the week.
Trivia: In his teens, Ronaldo was diagnosed with a racing heart, a condition that could have forced him to give up playing football. He underwent surgery to fix his heart problem.
Cristiano Ronaldo 5-Day Gym Workout Plan
Monday: Circuit Training
Repeat the following circuit three times
- Barbell Squat – 8 reps
- Box Jump – 10 reps
- Broad Jump – 8 reps
- Jumping Lunge – 8 reps (each leg)
- Lateral Bound – 10 reps
Along with your physical stamina and endurance, these circuits will test your mental strength as well. “Learn to train your mind as well as your body,” he once said. “Mental strength is just as important as physical strength and will help you achieve your goals.”
Rest days do not mean that you will be spending the entire day Netflix and chilling. You might have a day off from the gym, but you will still be doing your warm-up, cardio, and stretching routines.
Wednesday: Circuit Training
Repeat the following circuit three times
- Burpee Pull-up – 10-15 reps
- Bench Dips – 20 reps
- Push-ups – 20-30 reps
- Medicine Ball Toss – 15 reps
- Push Press – 10 reps
This circuit will test your strength and will help burn excess body fat. Make sure you are giving your 100% in the gym. You should be exhausted and have nothing left in the tank by the end of your workouts.
Thursday: Quad and Cardio
- Power Cleans – 5 reps 5 sets
- Sprints – 200-meter 8 sets
Cristiano Ronaldo is not a light eater. The circuit routines put those calories to use and keep the football legend in top shape.
Friday: Ab Workouts and Core Exercises
- One-Arm Side Deadlift – 5 reps (each arm) 3 sets
- Dumbbell One-Legged Deadlift – 10 reps 2 sets
- Knee Tuck Jump – 10-12 reps 3 sets
- Overhead Slam – 10-12 reps 3 sets
- One-Leg Barbell Squat – 5 reps 2 sets
- Hanging Leg Raise – 10-15 reps 3 sets
Apart from helping you build a shredded physique, this workout focuses on improving your stability and core strength. Not to mention, the abdomen exercises will assist in carving sculpted abs.
Use a complete range of motion while performing the exercises. You leave gains on the table by limiting your range of motion since you cannot achieve absolute muscle fiber recruitment and stimulation.
Sunday: Cardio exercise
- Rope Jumping – 10 sets, 1-minute rest
- Resistance Sprinting – 50 meters 10 sets
Sunday cardio workout will help you shed the excess body fat and get you in shape for your upcoming underwear line’s photoshoot. Watch out, CR7.
Cristiano Ronaldo’s transformation program is all about consistency and hard work. Ronaldo reportedly has 7% body fat and an astounding 50% muscle mass. His diet and workout program might not turn you into the best professional footballer in the world, but it will surely get you ripped AF.