2022 Arnold Strongman Classic will be held on March 4th and 5th in the Greater Columbus Convention Center in Columbus, Ohio. The competition will be a part of Arnold Sports Festival 2022 that will also feature the second most prestigious bodybuilding competition Arnold Classic. The event was canceled in 2021 due to the Covid-19 imposed restrictions.
Starting in 2002, the Arnold Strongman Classic last took place in 2020. Retired strongman Hafthor Julius Bjornsson merged victoriously that year. Bjornsson became the only second strongman to win the competition three times in a row after the great Zydrunas Savickas.
The 2022 Roster of Arnold Strongman Classic features ten of the most elite athletes in strongman sports. The notorious Stoltman brothers, 2021 World’s strongest Man Tom Stoltman and reigning Europe’s Strongest Man Luke Stoltman will make their Arnold Classic Debut in 2022.
Here is the events list for the 2022 Arnold Strongman Classic as published on the official website of Arnold Sports Festival.
2022 Arnold Strongman Classic Events List and Schedule
Day 1 – Friday, March 4
Event 1: The Heavy Squat-Using a Barbell
For Maximum load
Arnold Strongman Classic will feature the heavy squat using a barbell for the first time in the competition’s history. A classic Strongman event, heavy barbell squat aims to establish the winner of the event by the maximum weight lifted. Competing athletes will attempt three reps of barbell squat and subsequently, the person that lifts the heaviest weights emerges victorious at this event.
Event 2: Monster Dumbbell Press
For maximum reps within the stipulated time
Time Cap: 1:30 minutes
Competing athletes will attempt to get a maximum number of reps with 275lbs (124.7kg) dumbbells over a time span of 90 seconds. Athletes are expected to lift the dumbbells off the floor and take them overhead for each rep that counts. It is a time-restricted event. Subsequently, the athlete that pulls off the maximum number of reps within 90 seconds will be declared the winner of this event.
Day 2 – Saturday, March 5
Event 3: Austrian Oak
For maximum load
Introduced in 2012, The Austrian Oak is a true wooden block that many consider being the most beautiful piece of equipment created for Strongman sports. The block is made up of wood so the weight varies from year to year. The starting weight of the Australian Oak to be used in the 2022 Arnold Strongman Classic is not yet announced.
Similar to heavy squats, competing athletes are expected to attempt three lifts of the blocks off the floor and take them overhead to establish the maximum load. Subsequently, the athlete who lifts the heaviest Austrian Oak will be the winner of this event.
Event 4: Timber Carry
For maximum distance covered within the stipulated time
Time Cap: 30 Seconds
Competing athletes will carry an 880lbs (399kg) timber frame up a 35-feet long ramp in a span of 30 seconds. The athlete that covers the maximum distance in 30 seconds will win this event.
Event 5: Stone to Shoulder
For maximum reps within the stipulated time
Time Cap: 2:30 minutes
Last but not the least, a classic event that tests strength. Competing athletes will lift the odd Haugen’s stone off the ground and bring it to a stationary position on the shoulder for as many reps as possible within two-and-a-half minutes. Subsequently, the athlete with maximum reps will win the event. Tacky is not permitted for the event. However, Tacky towels will be provided.
The Inaugural Rogue Invitational Strongman competition winner Martins Licis will also compete at the event. Licis is the 2019 World’s Strongest Man and held 2nd and 3rd place in Arnold Strongman Classic 2019 and 2020, respectively. In addition to that, 2020 WSM Oleksii Novikov and the world’s strongest gay Rob Kearney will also be a part of the roster.
All the competitors will fight for the record $182,000 prize money, including a champion’s check of $80,000. Finally, here is the list of all ten athletes competing and the Event lineup at the 2022 Arnold Strongman Classic.
2022 Arnold Strongman Classic Roster
- Maxime Boudreault (Canada) – 2021 Magnús Ver Magnússon Strongman Classic Champion, Arnold Strongman Classic debut
- J.F. Caron (Canada) – 3rd Place, 2021 Shaw Classic; 3rd, 2020 World’s Strongest Man; 2018 & 2019 Canada’s Strongest Man
- Rob Kearney (USA) – 6th Place, 2021 Rogue Invitational; 2019 Arnold Strongman Australia Champion
- Mateusz Kieliszkowski (Poland) – 4th Place, 2021 Rogue Invitational; 2nd Place, 2020 Arnold Strongman Classic; 2019 Arnold Strongman Europe Champion; 2019 Poland’s Strongest Man
- Martins Licis (USA) – 2021 Rogue Invitational Champion; 2019 World’s Strongest Man; 3rd Place, 2020 Arnold Strongman Classic; 2nd Place, 2019 Arnold Strongman Classic
- Evgeny Markov (Russia) – 2020 Arnold Amateur Strongman World Champion; Arnold Strongman Classic debut
- Trey Mitchell (USA) – 2021 Shaw Classic Champion; 4th Place, 2021 World’s Strongest Man; Arnold Strongman Classic debut
- Oleksii Novikov (Ukraine) – 2020 World’s Strongest Man; 3rd Place, 2021 Rogue Invitational
- Luke Stoltman (Scotland) – 2021 Europe’s Strongest Man; Arnold Strongman Classic debut
- Tom Stoltman (Scotland) – 2021 World’s Strongest Man, 2nd Place, 2021 Rogue Invitational, Arnold Strongman Classic debut
Arnold Classic features feats of strength with the heaviest weights in strongman sports. The 2022 Arnold Strongman Classic will take place over two days, the 4th and 5th of March. Competing athletes will participate in five events spread across two days to determine the winner of the competition. Furthermore, here is the complete schedule of the competition as published on arnoldsportsfestival.com
Considering the level of competition and the resume of strongmen competing at the 2022 Arnold Strongman Classic, there is no doubt that it will be a tooth-and-nails battle with exciting moments. Who do you think takes home the winner’s trophy and the $182,000 prize money? Let us know in the comments below!