With this article, we are breaking the first two rules of Fight Club. First – You do not talk about Fight Club. Second – You do not talk about Fight Club. And you know what, there is nothing Brad Pitt (or rather, Tyler Durden) can do about it.
But before you go around telling everyone about what we just did, we want you to remember what they say about snitches.
On second thought, why don’t you go ahead and share this article with as many people as you can? You might end up starting a Fight Club of your own.
Side note: I am a part-time soap salesman. So, if you need a Tyler Durden for your new Fight Club, you now know who to call.
In Fight Club, Brad Pitt looks like someone you do not want to mess with. It has been 22 years since the iconic movie came out and has carved a cult following for itself.
Even after more than two decades, Pitt’s shredded physique in Fight Club is unparalleled. No action movie discussion can be deemed complete without a mention of Tyler Darden and his ripped body.
Brad Pitt Stats
|Full Name: William Bradley “Brad” Pitt|
|172 lbs (78 kg)||5ft 11in (180 cm)|
|Date of Birth||Birthplace||Zodiac Sign|
|18 December 1963||Shawnee, Oklahoma||Sagittarius|
Brad Pitt’s Transformation
Brad Pitt was not always the lean and jacked fighting machine we saw in Fight Club. The shredded abs, ripped arms, chiseled pecs, and sculpted calves were a result of a targeted effort to get in the best shape of his life.
Fight Club Trivia
Producer Ross Bell met actor Russell Crowe to discuss his candidacy for Tyler Durden’s role. On the other hand, producer Art Linson, who joined the project late, met with Pitt for the same role. Brad Pitt was finalized because Linson was the senior producer of the two.
Imagine that – Crowe playing Tyler Durden instead of Pitt. Fight Club would never have turned out the way it did if Ross Bell called the shots.
Not only did Brad work on his physical transformation, but he went a step further and made an appointment with his dentist.
But what does a dentist have to do with Fight Club?
Give that chest a rest. We are getting to it.
Brad Pitt voluntarily visited a dentist to have pieces of his front teeth chipped off so his character would not have perfect teeth.
We bet Ross Bell thought Crowe would have the same devotion towards Tyler Durden.
For the cry babies hooked on the teeth story, Brad Pitt did not lose his teeth forever. Unlike his relationship with Jennifer Aniston, his dental pieces were restored after filming concluded.
Brad Pitt’s Fight Club Diet Plan
The role demanded Pitt be shredded to the bone. During filming, Pitt reportedly weighed around 70 kilos and had a body fat percentage of 6 percent.
To maintain his washboard abs and muscle striations, Pitt followed one of the most important fat loss rules – calorie deficit. He ate clean and shunned junk food.
Brad Pitt relied on quality food sources like fish, chicken, oatmeal, brown rice, protein shakes, and veggies for his daily nutrition goals. To keep his metabolism active, and burn calories even while not physically active, Pitt ate several times throughout the day.
Check-Out: Calorie Deficit Calculator
Brad Pitt Diet Program
Here is what Brad Pitt eat while prepping for Fight Club:
Meal 1 – Breakfast
- Eggs – Six egg whites and seven yolks.
- Protein Shake – Studies have shown that eating protein in breakfast can help you lose weight.
- Oatmeal – Pitt ate 75g of oatmeal with raisins.
Check-Out: 10 Best Protein Powders Reviewed
Meal 2 – Snack #1
- Canned Tuna Fish – Tuna fish is a quality source of protein and rich in heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
- Whole Wheat Pita Bread – Whole wheat pita bread is satiating and isn’t too heavy on the calorie balance sheet.
Meal 3 – Lunch
- Chicken Breast – Chicken breast is a fitness enthusiast’s best friend. Brad Pitt ate two chicken breasts in lunch to meet his daily protein goal.
- Brown Rice – While protein is great for building muscle, you need carbs to power through the day. Brown rice and chicken breast are a match made in heaven.
- Pasta – Brad kept things interesting by alternating between brown rice and pasta.
- Green Veggies – Your mamma probably has been telling you to eat your veggies since you were little. Who are we or Tyler Durden to tell you otherwise?
Meal 4 – Snack #2 (Pre-Workout)
- Protein Bar – If you have been paying attention, you might have probably noticed that Brad Pitt primarily relies on protein to meet his daily calorie goal.
- Whey Protein Shake – Pitt alternated between a whey protein shake and a protein bar depending on his mood.
- Banana – Among other things, banana is rich in potassium and antioxidants that can help you power through a workout.
Meal 5 – Snack #3 (Post-Workout)
- Whey Protein Shake – If you thought Durden does not have a post-workout protein shake, just like The Narrator, you do not understand him well enough.
- Banana – Why two bananas a day? Why not?
Meal 6 – Dinner
- Grilled Fish – Grilled fish is a high-quality source of protein. Its fast absorbing nature makes it a great fit for dinner.
- Chicken – On days Brad Pitt is not feeling fishy, he eats chicken breast for dinner instead.
- Brown Rice or Pasta – You cannot go wrong with either.
- Vegetables – Veggies are packed with antioxidants and fiber. A green leafy veggie serving is a must at dinner.
- Salad – You thought you did not have to eat salad on the Brad Pitt Fight Club diet? We are sorry for you.
Meal 7 – Snack #4
- Casein Protein Shake – Casein protein is a slow-digesting form of protein and is an excellent supplement to have before bed as it prevents muscle breakdown while you are sleeping.
- Low-Fat Cottage Cheese – Pitt would eat this slow-releasing protein source as an alternative to his protein shake.
Also Read: 8 Best Casein Protein Powders
We know what you are thinking – But it did not look like Brad Pitt ate so much while filming for Fight Club.
We know, right?
If reports are to be believed, he was eating less than 2,000 calories a day while shooting for Fight Club.
Brad Pitt Fight Club Workout Program
Before we get to Brad Pitt’s Fight Club training program, you need to remember that the goal of his workout regimen wasn’t to put on 10-20 lbs of muscle mass. The Fight Club workout diet and workout program were aimed at getting Pitt shredded. And by shredded, we mean 5-6% body fat.
Tyler Durden is The Narrator’s alter ego and so Durden could not have been taller or significantly more muscular than him.
Actually, Durden could have been bigger than The Narrator, but that is not the point here, and can you please cut us and Fight Club’s creative director some slack?
Brad Pitt’s Training Plan
Brad Pitt’s training consisted of five days of targeted weightlifting exercises, one day of extreme cardio, and a day’s worth of rest. Here is Pitt’s Fight Club training routine:
Monday – Chest
- Push-Up: 3 sets of 25 reps
- Bench Press: 3 sets of 25, 15, and 8 reps at 165, 195, 225 lbs
- Nautilus Press: 3 sets of 15 reps at 80, 100, 130 lbs
- Incline Bench Press: 3 sets of 15 reps at 80, 100, 130 lbs
- Pec Deck Fly: 3 sets of 15 reps at 60, 70, 80 lbs
- Crunch: 3 sets 30 reps
- Lying Leg Raise: 3 sets 30 reps
Since Brad Pitt’s training program is not about putting on significant muscle mass, you will be lifting lighter weights for a higher number of reps to build muscle definition and striation.
Remember: The weight mentioned is as per Pitt’s 70kg body weight and strength level. You need to adjust the resistance as per your body weight and training experience.
Tuesday – Back
- Pull-Up: 3 sets to Failure
- Seated Row: 3 sets of 25, 15, and 8 reps at 75, 80, 85 lbs
- Lat Pull-Down: 3 sets of 25 reps at 135, 150, 165 lbs
- T-Bar Row: 3 sets of 25, 15, and 8 reps at 80, 95, 110 lbs
You are allowed a maximum of 45 seconds for rest between sets. Brad did not spend more than 45-60 minutes on a workout. If you are spending more time than this inside the gym, it is an indicator that your training intensity is not up to the Fight Club mark.
Wednesday – Shoulders
- Arnold Press: 3 sets of 25 reps at 55 lbs
- Dumbbell Lateral Raise: 3 sets of 25 reps at 30 lbs
- Front Barbell Raise: 3 sets of 25 reps at 25 lbs
- Dumbbell Shrug: 3 sets of 25 reps at 25 lbs
- Hanging Leg Raise: 3 sets 30 reps
- Cable Woodchopper: 3 sets 30 reps (Each Side)
You are in for a shocker if you think you are going to breeze through these workouts.
Since you will not be lifting too heavy on this training program, you should be following a full range of motion. Establish a mind-muscle connection and squeeze the life out of your muscles with every rep.
Thursday – Biceps & Triceps
- Preacher Curl: 3 sets of 25, 15, and 8 reps at 60, 80, 95 lbs
- EZ Cable Curl: 3 sets of 25, 15, and 8 reps at 50, 65, 80 lbs
- Dumbbell Hammer Curl: 3 sets of 25, 15, and 8 reps at 30, 45, 55 lbs
- Cable Push-Down: 3 sets of 25, 15, and 8 reps at 70, 85, 100 lbs
- EZ Bar Skullcrusher: 3 sets of 25, 15, and 8 reps at 50, 65, 80 lbs
In an action movie like Fight Club, where your arms are always in the frame during fighting scenes, building solid guns is of paramount importance. Brad Pitt’s python workout will help you in building bicep peaks and adding definition.
Friday – Legs
- Barbell Squat: 3 sets of 25, 15, and 8 reps at 60, 80, 95 lbs
- Lying Leg Curl: 3 sets of 25, 15, and 8 reps at 50, 65, 80 lbs
- Leg Extension: 3 sets of 25, 15, and 8 reps at 30, 45, 55 lbs
- Standing Calf Raise: 3 sets of 25, 15, and 8 reps at 70, 85, 100 lbs
- Russian Twist: 3 sets 30 reps (Each Side)
- Cable Crunch: 3 sets of 25, 15, and 8 reps
Although we do not get to see Brad Pitt’s legs in Fight Club (nor are we complaining), he does not use this as an excuse to skip leg days. Pitt’s washboard abs in the movie are a result of meticulous abdomen training. If the bodyweight ab exercises feel easy, feel free to add resistance by using a weight plate or dumbbell.
Saturday – Cardio
- Treadmill: 1 hour at 80-90% of maximum heart rate
Brad Pitt’s 6% body fat in the movie is a result of hours of cardio (and dieting, obviously). He performed one hour of HIIT cardio on Saturdays.
Pitt also did 20-30 minutes of HIIT cardio after every workout on the weekdays to burn off the excess body fat.
Sunday – Active Rest Day
Although Sunday is a rest day and we know you are tired from all the hard work you did during the week, do not spend the entire Sunday in bed.
Go out for a 30-minute hike or spend it on a treadmill while watching Fight Club on Amazon Prime Video.
Other Diet & Workout Program You Should Check Out:
- Mike Tyson’s Insane Workout & Diet Program
- Jake Gyllenhaal Southpaw Workout & Diet Program
- Get Ripped Like Michael B. Jordan With The ‘Creed’ Workout Program
You might or might not be a Brad Pitt fan. He has had a controversial past, but there is no denying the fact that whatever he might be going through in his personal life, he has never let it affect his work. He has always looked and played his part to perfection.
Achieving 5-6% body fat while maintaining peak conditioning is no joke. It takes a lot of hard work, discipline, and consistency. If you had to emulate someone’s transformation program to achieve the same feat, it should be no one else’s but Brad Pitt’s.