Ryan Gosling may not be the most muscular guy in Hollywood, but his lean and athletic physique makes him the subject of envy of guys and the desire of women. In this article, we’ll reveal the exact training and diet Ryan follows to maintain his movie star physique.
Ryan Gosling Stats
|Full Name||Ryan Thomas Gosling|
|D.O.B||November 12, 1980|
|Height||6’0” (183 cm)|
|Weight||76 kilogram (168 pounds)|
The Ryan Gosling Story
Ryan Thomas Gosling was born on Nov. 12, 1980, in London, Ontario, Canada. Both parents are French-Canadian and members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Ryan’s father was a traveling salesman, meaning that the family moved around quite a lot.
Ryan’s parents divorced when he was 13. He and his sister lived with their mother. He has previously revealed that he had an unhappy childhood, full of constant bullying and no friendships. In first grade, after watching the movie Rocky, he took knives to school and threw them at other kids, leading to his suspension.
After his suspension, Ryan was homeschooled by his mother. He loved TV and movies and wanted to be an actor. He joined his uncle’s Elvis Presley tribute band. At age twelve, he attended an open audition for a revival of Disney’s Mickey Mouse Club. He won a position as a Mouseketeer and moved to Orlando, Florida. For six months, he lived with fellow Mouseketeer Justin Timberlake.
Ryan returned to Canada in 1995 and appeared in several TV shows. His first movie role was Frankenstein and Me (1997). Regular movie roles followed, most notably The Notebook (2004), Crazy (2010), Stupid Love, and La La Land (2016).
Gosling has previously been in relationships with co-stars Sandra Bullock and Rachel McAdams. Since 2012, he has been in a relationship with Eva Mendes. The couple has two children, both girls, with one born in 2014 and the other in 2016.
Ryan Gosling Workout Principles
— Warner Bros. Pictures (@wbpictures) June 15, 2022
When he was a teenager, Ryan was pretty skinny and weak. He developed a knack for training in his late teens and has kept it since. Gosling follows a traditional bodybuilding split, with a five-day gym regimen of about an hour and a half each session.
Ryan has Wednesday and Sunday off from training. On those days, he will often do some form of active recovery, such as hiking in the woods or playing a game of basketball with his buddies.
As part of his prep for his role in La La Land, Ryan took up pilates. Pilates was recommended to him to strengthen his muscles while improving flexibility, suppleness, and muscle longevity.
Ryan’s trainer, Arin Babaian introduced pilates after having him do squats and pull-ups. Per Babaian, pilates helped Ryan improve his spinal stability and postural strength.
Ryan Gosling Workout Program
Given below is Gosling’s typical training routine:
Monday: Back and Biceps
- Standing Dumbbell Bicep Curl: 4 sets of 15, 12, 10, 8 reps
- Cable Lat Pull-down: 4 sets of 15, 12, 10, 8 reps
- Spider Curl: 3 sets of 12 reps
- Cable Seated Row: 4 sets of 15, 12, 10, 8 reps
- One-Arm Dumbbell Row: 3 sets of 12 reps
- One-Arm Concentration Curl: 3 sets of 10 reps
Tuesday: Lower Body
- Deadlift: 4 sets of 15, 12, 10, 8 reps
- Barbell Squat: 4 sets of 15, 12, 10, 8 reps
- Leg Curl: 3 sets of 12 reps
- Leg Press: 3 sets of 12 reps
- Dumbbell Lunge: 3 sets of 12 reps
- Seated Calf Raise: 3 sets of 20 reps
Thursday: Chest and Triceps
- Decline Barbell Bench Press: 4 sets of 15, 12, 10, 8 reps
- Barbell Bench Press: 4 sets of 15, 12, 10, 8 reps
- Incline Barbell Bench Press: 3 sets of 12 reps
- Triceps Dips: 3 sets of 12 reps
- Cable Pec Fly: 3 sets of 12 reps
- Triceps Cable Extension with Rope: 3 sets of 12 reps
Friday: Abs and Core
- Russian Twist with Plate or Ball: 3 sets of 12 reps
- Hanging Leg Raise: 3 sets of 12 reps
- Back Extension: 3 sets of 12 reps
- Ab Crunch with Stability Ball: 3 sets of 12 reps
- Oblique Dumbbell Side Bend: 3 sets of 12 reps
- Rear Delt Raise: 3 sets of 12 reps
- Military Press: 4 sets of 15, 12, 10, 8 reps
- Dumbbell Lateral Raise: 3 sets of 12 reps
- Barbell Shrug: 3 sets of 12 reps
- Single-Arm Shoulder Press: 3 sets of 12 reps
Ryan Gosling Nutrition Program
Staying lean for movie roles decade after decade doesn’t just happen by chance. It requires strict adherence to a healthy eating plan, meaning Ryan Gosling is careful about everything he puts in his mouth.
Ryan gets even stricter with his diet when preparing for a movie role. When preparing for his role in Crazy Stupid Love (2010), his diet included fish, vegetables, rice, and protein shakes, allowing him to get super lean.
Despite his strict adherence to eating healthy, Ryan has a sweet tooth, which he is not afraid to indulge in every now and then. His favorite sweet treat is Twizzlers, with a friend and co-star Emma Stone once telling Vanity Fair magazine:
“Ryan can eat more Twizzlers than anyone you’ve ever met. Yeah, the traditional, like, the Twizzler, and he would keep it in his coat pocket, and just, you know, hand out Twizzlers and eat Twizzlers himself.”
Ryan advocates intermittent fasting to cut body fat, boost energy, and optimize anabolic hormone levels. He usually follows a 16:8 intermittent fasting regimen which sees him fasting for 16 out of every 24-hour period. He usually stops eating at 7 pm in the evening and then has his first meal at 11 am the next morning.
During his eight-hour eating window, Ryan will eat four meals, spaced two hours apart.
Here is a sample of what Ryan eats on a typical day:
- Whole grain bread
- Plain yogurt
- Protein shake
- Protein shake
- Chicken breast
- Sweet potato
- Green salad
Ryan Gosling Supplement Regimen
Ryan is a fan of sports supplements. Here are the products he takes, along with his favorite brands:
You might also like:
- Charlie Hunnam Workout & Diet Program
- Cam Newton Workout and Diet Program
- Rob McElhenney Workout and Diet Program
- Ryan Reynolds Workout and Diet Program
Ryan Gosling is a Canadian actor who has made it big in Hollywood. His lean, athletic physique has helped him create a massive worldwide fanbase, and in this article, we have seen how he built and maintains his chiseled body. Give Ryan’s workout a try, and let us know in the comments how it works for you.